I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T17:49:34+00:00

    same issue here - created c lip in movie maker - same computer same day - movie maker will not open the file. 5 hours trying to figure it out - beyond frustrated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-26T19:47:47+00:00

    Hello,

    Thanks for participating here and I apologize for the inconvenience. I would like to clarify if the file you are trying to open was the project file or video file. If project file, I would like you to upload it in the private message area I enabled for you. Access it by signing in to Microsoft Community and hit Private Messages tab. In case, video file, please answer the following:

    • What is the file type being opened?
    • What is the version of your Movie Maker? To check, press ALT + F in Movie Maker then click About Movie Maker.
    • What is the operating system you are using?

    We'll wait for your response.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T19:06:59+00:00

    Same problem and I want my project back. I have LITERALLY been LABORING over a video for the last month, making sure to save it along the way at every other second so I wouldn't experience any problems; however, Microsoft has made sure I experience problems any way despite saving it along the way. 

    Just yesterday, Windows Movie Maker stopped responding while I was working on my project and forced me out of the program entirely. Since then whenever I try reopening the saved file, the following message keeps popping up and it refuses to open the project I've been working on for the last month:  "Sorry, Movie Maker can't open this project file. The file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file. (Errror: 0xCOOCEE01)." I know there's nothing wrong with the file type which is wlmp. And I never switched or messed with that so it's not that.  Whatever the case, this is a great outrage to me as I needed this project complete by this week. Instead of completing my project however, I've had to spend my precious time researching up on Microsoft and their bug to hurdle this problem. 

    After spending an entire day researching on Microsoft and their bug as opposed to completing my project, I've learned that numerous other people have had this same issue because of the ineptness at Microsoft. Apparently, Microsoft did not prepare for the possibility that people might create large files and thus there's now a bug whenever there is a large file. As far as fast do-it-yourself solutions, I've seen nothing. It's people just stating that users have to send their work to Microsoft staff and wait for them to fix it. I saw something about having to do this by signing for a Microsoft account and signing up for SkyDrive and being forced to learn all this stuff about some SkyDrive in order to put up my project and send it to Microsoft. However, because Microsoft recently updated this SkyDrive, I couldn't find all these instructions they were telling me to do in order to put up my project file. Ugh! Microsoft has taken me WAY off the beaten path with their bug. I need someone from Microsoft to revive this file and tell me what to do so that their bug doesn't continue to affect all my hard work.  I want to know if I can revive this file onto an entirely different program that isn't by Microsoft in any way, shape or form. Can it be brought up on a different video creation software because I don't want to experience these same issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T19:37:29+00:00

    Same problem and I want my project back. I have LITERALLY been LABORING over a video for the last month, making sure to save it along the way at every other second so I wouldn't experience any problems; however, Microsoft has made sure I experience problems any way despite saving it along the way. 

    Just yesterday, Windows Movie Maker stopped responding while I was working on my project and forced me out of the program entirely. Since then whenever I try reopening the saved file, the following message keeps popping up and it refuses to open the project I've been working on for the last month:  "Sorry, Movie Maker can't open this project file. The file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file. (Errror: 0xCOOCEE01)." I know there's nothing wrong with the file type which is wlmp. And I never switched or messed with that so it's not that.  Whatever the case, this is a great outrage to me as I needed this project complete by this week. Instead of completing my project however, I've had to spend my precious time researching up on Microsoft and their bug to hurdle this problem. 

    After spending an entire day researching on Microsoft and their bug as opposed to completing my project, I've learned that numerous other people have had this same issue because of the ineptness at Microsoft. Apparently, Microsoft did not prepare for the possibility that people might create large files and thus there's now a bug whenever there is a large file. As far as fast do-it-yourself solutions, I've seen nothing. It's people just stating that users have to send their work to Microsoft staff and wait for them to fix it. I saw something about having to do this by signing for a Microsoft account and signing up for SkyDrive and being forced to learn all this stuff about some SkyDrive in order to put up my project and send it to Microsoft. However, because Microsoft recently updated this SkyDrive, I couldn't find all these instructions they were telling me to do in order to put up my project file. Ugh! Microsoft has taken me WAY off the beaten path with their bug. I need someone from Microsoft to revive this file and tell me what to do so that their bug doesn't continue to affect all my hard work.  I want to know if I can revive this file onto an entirely different program that isn't by Microsoft in any way, shape or form. Can it be brought up on a different video creation software because I don't want to experience these same issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-16T15:07:19+00:00

    Hi Anthony,

    Thanks for participating here and I apologize for the delay in response. I managed to check this thread of yours and I was able to verify that your concern was already solved by Considerate_guy. In case you still have a copy of that corrupted project file and you want to send it to us for investigation, I enabled the private message area for you. Access it by signing in to Microsoft Community and hit Private Messages tab.

    We'll wait for your response.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments