I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T16:33:07+00:00

    I have to disagree with TonieyFields on this. The project file isn't a video file type that will be recognized by any converter.

    What you can try is to open the .wlmp in a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and find the corrupted outTime settings for VideoClips where they are earlier than the inTime.

    This requires a level of expertise and isn't recommended for a novice. It should also be done in a *copy* of the project, not in the original, in case you mess up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments