I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-24T03:55:14+00:00

    Hello,

    For us to better assist you, I have provided a private message where you can upload the project file that has been corrupted. We will try to fix the project file if it can be recovered. Note that you need to be signed in to view the private message. Afterwards, reply back to this public thread.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-24T07:20:35+00:00

    A project file isn't a movie at all.  It is the project file with just the instructions to build a movie from the original source files.  If all you have saved is the .wlmp file, it doesn't matter if you can open it or not, unless you have the same source files with you as well.  So I hope you have those too.  Otherwise, it's like trying to follow a recipe without ingredients.  :)

    However, as a first step, you need to know what specific version your client was using.  That project file cannot be opened in an earlier version, so I suggest making sure you have the latest version possible on your computer.  The latest version is 16.4.3505.0912 and is part of Windows Essentials 2012.

    Update: The latest version is 16.4.3532.0331 and isn't available on the Microsoft website anymore. Read more about your options in the following link:

    Movie Maker went away on January 10, 2017

    If on the other hand you are trying to open this in Windows Media Player, it obviously won't play at all because it isn't a movie, as a mentioned before.

    If you are still having issues, please post back with:

    1. What exact verison of Movie Maker is on your client computer?  (Check About Movie Maker)
    2. Did you copy all the source files too?
    3. What version of Movie Maker are you running?
    4. If you open up the .wlmp file in Notepad, what version does it show on the Project line (65538?  65540?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-29T05:02:10+00:00

    Hi there,

    I have the very same issue than AmeliaMonash. I know about the nature of the project files (instructions other than movies). Also, I have my source files collected inside the .wlmp file.

    I look forward the version also.

    Answering your questions:

    1. Windows Live Movie Maker,  14.0.8117.0416
    2. Yes
    3. Windows Live Movie Maker, 14.0.8117.0416
    4. 65538

    Hope you have some advice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-29T07:04:19+00:00

    Hi cluis0,

    For us to better help you, please provide us the project file so we can determine if it is a compatibility error, or possible file corruption. I have sent you a private message for the instructions. After uploading the file, please notify us in this thread.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-05-12T15:34:34+00:00

    Hi! I have the exact same problem. Im just not sure which version runs in the computer where i started, other than that I do have all the source files and the version is 65538

    I started the project in one of my schools computers but cannot open it on my laptop, which runs 14.0.8117.0416

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments