I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T17:49:34+00:00

    same issue here - created c lip in movie maker - same computer same day - movie maker will not open the file. 5 hours trying to figure it out - beyond frustrated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-19T07:26:39+00:00

    Hello prattaygs,

    Thanks for uploading the project file. I have replied to you in the private message area. Kindly read it.

    Should you have any other concerns regarding Movie Maker, please don't hesitate to post back.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-18T21:47:58+00:00

    Hi prattaygs,

    Thanks for posting here. I understand that you want us to fix the project file. You can upload it through the private message area I enabled for you. Access it by signing in to Microsoft Community and hit Private Messages link.

    We'll wait for it.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-18T20:21:51+00:00

    please help me with wlmp file, showing error message. i need it urgently. i am sending it in private inbox.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-06-05T02:13:56+00:00

    Hello dounce87,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. I understand that you're having issues on your project file not opening within Movie Maker. I will assist you on your inquiry.

    Please provide us the project file within the private message that I will provide for security purposes. Note that you need to sign into your account to view the private message. Afterwards, kindly reply back to this public thread.

    We'll await for your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments