I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T11:53:52+00:00

    Hi SidneyLok,

    Let me help you with your issue that you cannot open the project file that you have recently save. For us to isolate your issue, kindly enumerate the steps on how you are saving the edited file. Also I created a private message wherein you will provide us additional information needed.

    Please click on You have a private reply to this message link just above your post to view the message. Don't forget to sign in to Microsoft Community Forum to view the link.

    Your cooperation on this matter will be highly appreciated. I look forward to your reply.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T21:56:26+00:00

    Hello,

    I want to cut and combine 2 MP4 videos. I used Mover Maker to cut the 2 videos into several clips, so I could pick and connect them later. However, when I was ready to combine the clips, I got the same problem as previous users that the files could not open. My clips are in the .wlmp format. I understood that you mentioned that I was supposed to save the clips as .mp4 or .wmv. However, there was no such option in the upper left drop down menu. It only allowed me to save my clips as Projects. Can you let me know how to resolve this problem, and how to retrieve my clips so I can combine them as one video. 

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T21:54:44+00:00

    Hello,

    I want to cut and combine 2 MP4 videos. I used Mover Maker to cut the 2 videos into several clips, so I could pick and connect them later. However, when I was ready to combine the clips, I got the same problem as previous users that the files could not open. My clips are in the .wlmp format. I understood that you mentioned that I was supposed to save the clips as .mp4 or .wmv. However, there was no such option in the upper left drop down menu. It only allowed me to save my clips as Projects. Can you let me know how to resolve this problem, and how to retrieve my clips so I can combine them as one video. 

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more