I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-12T22:05:24+00:00

    First, I'm not a representative of Microsoft, just a fellow user of Movie Maker, so I won't be able to do anything in the program to fix your issue.

    Most often, when a project will not render as a movie, there are two main causes:

    1. The source files aren't 100% compatible with Movie Maker. When I have that issue, I convert all the video clips to .wmv format and all the music files to .wma format using Freemake Video Converter. After that, I usually have no problems saving.
    2. The project is too complex. When I can only get it to get to about 50%, I split the project into two parts and try to save each separately as movies. If that works, I then create a third project and join the two parts together. The easiest way to split a project is to make multiple copies of the .wlmp file. In the first copy, delete clips from the end until it will save as a movie. Call this Part 1. Now open another copy of the project file, and delete the parts that are already saved. See if you can save the second half as a movie. (If for some reason, you can't make it work with half, try it in thirds, fourths, etc.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-12T21:21:28+00:00

    Okay guys, help me out here.

    I don't want all the questions about files and all that after posting this, just the answer or the solution to my problem. 

    • I got Windows Live Movie Maker 2012 and it's the updated latest version: 16.4.3528.0331.

    I got windows 8 on my computer and the compality settings or what you call it is set to Windows 8 and I have tried both in Windows 7, 8 and Vista.

    My problem is that I have a long file: 26 Min full edited, done and ready to be saved. But I can't save. It stops halfways and sometimes a little bit less and sometimes a little bit further than 50%. But it stops, so same problem as a lot of other people. You really should fix this bug, not just for me, but make a version 2013 or something. It sucks. But anyway I am not here to be angry, I want a solution. Would you please help me. My file consist a lot of clips that I have edited together and it's 26 min long, I click save to HD and it stops. I can't upload to Facebook, Youtube or any other social media if I can't save it. And yes I can watch the file (not the movie) the wlmp file in the Video folder and yes I can also find the originally clips that I recorded on my computer, so the clips or files are not broken, curupt or anything, everything works fine, execpt when I need to save. And yes I have downloaded the Mediainfo 0.7.73 to see if that was the problem. And yes I can close the computer, restart it, get back a few days later and still open it in the program, I just can't freakin' save it and make it to a actually movie. 

    So...you got all the informations, so no questions please, just come with the solution since I have been using 2 month on this stupid file now and I wont lose over 8 hours filming and editing just because your program can't save 26 min. Help me out here. What shall I do. Can you fix it for me? Can I send it to you???

    Alexander Obitz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T07:31:47+00:00

    I have the same exact program.  I uploaded my vid into OneDrive.  Here is the link:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A2122074730C6C9E%21108

    Could somebody look it over and see if they can help me also.

    Thanks!

    Craig Packham

    ******@yahoo.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-27T10:04:36+00:00

    Hi MVP Sir or any Lord...i had made a photo-movie in Windows Live Movie Maker with .wlmp file saved. I used to open and edit but now after all the work was finished i tried to save project but it stopped around 50% displaying some messages which i didn't gave a good look. Thought my laptop might got hang and restarted it but to my shockness that .wlmp file can't get open displaying blank sheet with message "Sorry, Movie Maker can't open this project file. The file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file."

    Please help me recover my project. But other projects will open without any fuss.

    My onedrive link is, https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=651252CBD886C1DA%21139

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-11-04T03:00:42+00:00

    I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments