I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T11:59:03+00:00

    I need help on 2 files, but I don't know how to upload them to u wlmp is not allow on this reply I think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-02T19:40:58+00:00

    Hi AndreaVega,

    Thanks for participating on this thread. To better investigate the issue, I would like to ask for the project file. Kindly provide it in the private message area I enabled for you. Access it by signing in to Microsoft Community and hit Private Messages link.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Please could you also have a look at my file as I have the same problems?

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-14T04:13:55+00:00

    A .wlmp file is just a project file. It's actually not a movie that would be understood by any other program. All it contains is the list of files used, their location, their trim points, etc.

    You can make additional copies of your .wlmp file to try edits to the project file. If the problem ends up being the sourcefiles, however, you would have to convert the original source files and then re-import and re-edit them in your project.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-14T01:02:49+00:00

    Hi Microsoft.

    Would you please reply to my comment on page 4?

    By mistake I did reply on another comment. But this is still a message for you. Please help me.

    Thank you.

    Alexander Obitz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-05-13T11:24:19+00:00

    I know your not microsoft. But I don't see any Add Problem or message Button, so I just replyed to join the thread, but this might actually work, so I listen to you now.

    Okay, so 1: How do I convert the files when they're in movie maker and the movie right now is in the wlmp file and can't be saved as a actually movie. Can I use the freemake video converter on the wlmp file and then what? How do I make it back again and can I just upload from there maybe?

    1. Sounds good with seperate them and I have seen videos on youtube where they do it, but because windows movie maker tells me that my file is "corupt or dosen't" or what you call it, I can't even ctrl + x or ctrl + c on the file and then ctrl + v in a new window or new windows movie maker. I can't copy it. And if I clip it, I can't clip it back. Have tried...so how can I seperate them into 2 or 3 files?

    Thanks.

    Alexander Obitz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments