Help with High Def Audio Driver and Win 8

Anonymous
2012-11-17T07:45:57+00:00

I installed Windows 8 - wiped out the programs and kept the personal info.  Now I dont have any sound. 

Checked the device drivers and the High Definition Audio Driver isnt working or was not installed.  I deleted the one that was there and rebooted.  Still wont work!  I cant seem to find a driver that will work. I tried updating the driver and it could find any on the pc or internet.  It was working under Vista and Win 7..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Dave

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T12:47:48+00:00

    I actually have already done that.  The HDA will re-install (with ! warning).

    The sound card allows you to uninstall and optionally delete files. I took that route.  On reboot, it cannot find a driver and shows as a multimedia device with the "!" warning.  I then have to install the driver manually.  The driver is thorough enuf to detect even a trace of itself and also does an uninstall. Boot. Install. Boot. Still no luck.

    I have had to rethink.

    (1) My initial assumption that the HDA driver was at fault was incorrect.  Yesterday, when I came home, I had audio even when the HDA was showing the "!" warning.  I have to think the HDA driver is not necessary for sound.

    (2)  While I would think it would be hardware, I have tried 3 hardware schemes (read back a few days), with the same results.  Windows did not whine when I installed each driver so I can guess they are certified for W8.

    (3) I would then think then the MoBo, but I did the Intel chip set analyzer and have the up-to-date drivers. I would also suspect that more than sound would be gone if the chip set was upset.

    (4) In BIOS, I disabled the on-board audio, just to be sure. I did not have to do that before, tho'  (and I did re-enable it when I tried the on-board RealTek driver).

    I have considered a USB type audio solution, but am not ready to do that, as of yet.   I dunno any one I could borrow one from either, just as a diagnostic tool.  :-\

    Thanks for your continuing support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T11:40:36+00:00

    In the Device Manager can you right-click each sound device and select "Uninstall" and then uninstall each device.

    Restart the computer and let Windows redetect the devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T11:32:31+00:00

    .. DON'T LEAVE JUST YET....

    On power up this morning, no audio.   I went forward with your suggestion to remove the Upper Filter value, rebooted and still no sound. The HDA driver no longer referenced that logitec driver.

    I'm gonna take it out back and shot it at sun-up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-12T23:18:34+00:00

    Congratulations; Repair by intimidation.

    After I responded this morning, I turned the PC off. When I got back this afternoon and powered up and was fixing a cool drink, I heard this strange noise--Windows start up sound.

    I'm not really sure I did anything.

    The Audio card driver shows good and I hear sound. I've tried a few programs, etc.

    The HDA driver still has the yellow "!"

    I don't argue with success and I am making a back up after I press SEND.

    I've, nonetheless, kept your suggestion about the Logitec file and will continue with this if the audio stops again.

    *****

    What I excluded earlier - so that it would not complicate (?) the issue - was that other drivers had been dying off for the last few months.  1st the CD, then the PS2 ports, when it finally hit the HID, I could not get into it at all.  I remoted, found the error, and copied the drivers off a back up about 3 wks ago.  I got my stuff back.  The audio was still working but quit some where in there with all the 'experiments.'

    Everything works now.  I suspect aliens.   No malware or virus on scans.

    Thanks for your help, Auggy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-12T22:26:31+00:00

    The issue is likely the LVUSBSta LowerFilters value.

    The LVUSBSta.sys is a component of a Logitech camera driver.

    Try removing the LVUSBSta value.

    To remove the LVUSBSta entry double-click LowerFilters and, under Value data, remove LVUSBSta > OK

    Create a system restore point beforehand and restart the computer after.

    Alternatively you could try updating the Logitech camera driver to a more recent version if possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments