Help with High Def Audio Driver and Win 8

Anonymous
2012-11-17T07:45:57+00:00

I installed Windows 8 - wiped out the programs and kept the personal info.  Now I dont have any sound. 

Checked the device drivers and the High Definition Audio Driver isnt working or was not installed.  I deleted the one that was there and rebooted.  Still wont work!  I cant seem to find a driver that will work. I tried updating the driver and it could find any on the pc or internet.  It was working under Vista and Win 7..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Dave

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T17:50:35+00:00

    I'm downloading the 32 bit driver,* however, since I wrote,,,,,

    I went back and did the system HDA controller removal again. It would reinstall themselves as quickly as I deleted them this time. I uninstalled the audio drivers and was able to then take out the system controllers. 

    I uninstalled everything I could find on all and any audio device, realtek, CMI, etc. and even removed my USB3 PCI card.  I booted and got a bunch of junk (shoulda saved the picture on another drive) that talked about trusted Microsoft audio driver. I also got 2 unknown Multimedia devices. I reinstalled the CMI card (since is has worked) and booted. Found the same trusted Microsoft driver and 2 unknown devices. I Installed the CMI driver and some of that cleared up. Tried Realtek again. Found another PCI card that had a CMI chip..... no luck, no change.

    I went outside and beat the dog, came back in and restored the system from back up that I mentioned I was gonna make after I had the sound running.  (I don't really have a dog)

    Yes; I had SOUND.

    I immediately restarted, as soon as I could get the system's attention. I STILL have sound.   Conclusion: This has to be a software issue. Now: what changes the software?

    But wait; there's more!!!

    I did not disable the on-board realtek audio in the BIOS.  Guess what? It shows good and sound comes out if it just like the CMI speakers. I can direct play back to either output.  HDA is still unhappy.

    My plans:

    • NOT turn this PC off or reboot for a few days.
    • NOT install anything at all.
    • Give my buddy Auggy a few days off, if you wish!

    I realize all my 'wonderful' helper applications are gonna be busy trying to load stuff but... I will wait and see.

    Thanks, once more,

    E.

    _____________________

    *****Long story short, this is a 64bit PC and I have 32bit Win8 running.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T15:05:00+00:00

    Maybe physically remove the C-Media card and uninstall the drivers.

    Then uninstall the Realtek sound drivers and install the latest version of the Realtek sound drivers which were just released.

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T14:10:53+00:00

    Sorry to say, no luck.  There were two HDA controllers.

    With the USB audio removed, I deleted both system HDA controllers, and the regular sound devices disappeared, too.  After a restart, the HDA controllers installed themselves, and the two "!" audio devices re-appeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T02:55:54+00:00

    Try the following:

    Open the Device Manager and expand "System devices"

    Right-click each "High Definition Audio Controller" and select "Uninstall"

    Proceed with the uninstall and restart the computer and let Windows reinstall the devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T23:07:37+00:00

    Hi,

    Clean Boot did nothing for me. :(

    I went back after that and uninstalled the C-media driver, not files.

    I went to programs and uninstalled stuff I was not using especially if it looked like anything to do with audio, except all the crApple stuff. [the shortcomings (& overhead) of owning an iPod]

    I powered down. moved the sound card to another PCI slot. booted, scan reinstalled the drivers, and no change.

    I uninstalled the sound card using the sound card's installer, and powered down, removed the PCI card, went back into BIOS and re-enabled the onboard sound.

    Info:  before I contacted you, I also restored the BIOS to the factory defaults--just to be sure.

    Hardware scan discovered the realtek and re-installed the drivers I already had installed during the earlier experiments.   here is what it looks like if you are interested:  (as u can see, it is quite recent)

    (More info below the embedded screen shot):

    (USB audio still works)

    INFO: Also before I contacted you, I installed the latest NVS510 (Video) driver.  It has audio drivers and I opted to NOT install those as a trouble shooting aid.

    I still do not understand why the stupid thing did fine after I got home the other day. Sure smells like hardware but .... 3 audio schemes with the same results.... freaky!

    I will probably try the last card again and see what happens, , , again.

    Thank you, again.

    E.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments