Help with High Def Audio Driver and Win 8

Anonymous
2012-11-17T07:45:57+00:00

I installed Windows 8 - wiped out the programs and kept the personal info.  Now I dont have any sound. 

Checked the device drivers and the High Definition Audio Driver isnt working or was not installed.  I deleted the one that was there and rebooted.  Still wont work!  I cant seem to find a driver that will work. I tried updating the driver and it could find any on the pc or internet.  It was working under Vista and Win 7..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Dave

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-31T17:06:56+00:00

    The Logitec driver was listed. I removed it as you had asked me to before.  No change.  Booted. No change.  I also uninstalled the Realtek driver (Under sound, not taking remove file option), scanned again for changes - still no sound; rebooted a couple of times. No change, either. Rechecked registry and the LVUSBSta data had not returned.  I checked Prog/Features and I do not have any camera or Logitec device listed.   Where are those NVidia references coming from?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-31T13:36:43+00:00

    Can you one again check the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    At that registry key, in the right window, is there, under "Name", either an UpperFilters or LowerFilters value?

    If so, for each of the UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters value, what is listed under "Data"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-31T03:13:45+00:00

    I did consider sys restore or the full back up I'd made 5 days earlier; that worked before. But it only worked a while. I figured it would just happen again. I was hoping to nail the root cause.  Screen shot of codes/stats embedded. They're like my initial post.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-31T02:06:09+00:00

    In the Device Manager if you double-click each of the two sound devices (Intel and Realtek), under the "General"  tab what is listed under "Device status"?

    Also, did you consider using "System Restore" after you lost sound to "go back" to when you had sound?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T21:03:55+00:00

    I'll certainly understand if you do not wish to continue!

    About 3 days ago, I suffered a power failure. On reboot, I had no sound and it resembled all the indications we have had previously.  I've spent the last few days trying different things.

    It has basically come down to this:

    (Covers Realtek (onboard audio), Nvidia, & CMI)

    • Uninstalled all drivers from the Device manager "including files" where offered.
    • Uninstalled all drivers from Programs & Features
    • I removed all PCI cards (USB3 + CMI sound)
    • cleaned the registry. (Older version of Glary)
    • My Bios had the NVidia audio in 'PCI devices' and I disabled that.
    • Booted, reinstalled the Realtek Drivers - - - No luck,

    Using what you taught me, I believe that Realtek is looking for the Nvidia drivers. how can that be?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments