Help with High Def Audio Driver and Win 8

Anonymous
2012-11-17T07:45:57+00:00

I installed Windows 8 - wiped out the programs and kept the personal info.  Now I dont have any sound. 

Checked the device drivers and the High Definition Audio Driver isnt working or was not installed.  I deleted the one that was there and rebooted.  Still wont work!  I cant seem to find a driver that will work. I tried updating the driver and it could find any on the pc or internet.  It was working under Vista and Win 7..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Dave

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T02:55:54+00:00

    Try the following:

    Open the Device Manager and expand "System devices"

    Right-click each "High Definition Audio Controller" and select "Uninstall"

    Proceed with the uninstall and restart the computer and let Windows reinstall the devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T23:07:37+00:00

    Hi,

    Clean Boot did nothing for me. :(

    I went back after that and uninstalled the C-media driver, not files.

    I went to programs and uninstalled stuff I was not using especially if it looked like anything to do with audio, except all the crApple stuff. [the shortcomings (& overhead) of owning an iPod]

    I powered down. moved the sound card to another PCI slot. booted, scan reinstalled the drivers, and no change.

    I uninstalled the sound card using the sound card's installer, and powered down, removed the PCI card, went back into BIOS and re-enabled the onboard sound.

    Info:  before I contacted you, I also restored the BIOS to the factory defaults--just to be sure.

    Hardware scan discovered the realtek and re-installed the drivers I already had installed during the earlier experiments.   here is what it looks like if you are interested:  (as u can see, it is quite recent)

    (More info below the embedded screen shot):

    (USB audio still works)

    INFO: Also before I contacted you, I installed the latest NVS510 (Video) driver.  It has audio drivers and I opted to NOT install those as a trouble shooting aid.

    I still do not understand why the stupid thing did fine after I got home the other day. Sure smells like hardware but .... 3 audio schemes with the same results.... freaky!

    I will probably try the last card again and see what happens, , , again.

    Thank you, again.

    E.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T17:50:49+00:00

    That the USB works would tend to indicate the problem is not at that registry key.

    The other two sound devices are sill giving the "Code 39".

    There appears to be warnings in the Event Viewer concerning drivers fro various devices not loading.

    Can you try a "clean boot" and see if it makes a difference:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    Return to a Normal Startup afterwards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T14:13:37+00:00

    Got hold of a USB (borrowed) and it worked - I'm gonna try to aggravate it some today (boot, etc)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T11:44:31+00:00

    I have the files and have deleted then from your OneDrive folder.

    I'll take a look at them and get back to you.

    I can't delete your post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments