Unknown Device (Code 28) - All Network Drivers (Code 31)

Anonymous
2012-02-22T21:49:35+00:00

I'm trying to fix a problem with my Dad's computer, he advised that he couldn't connect to the internet anymore. When I took a look, the Network icon in the system tray says 'Not Connected - No Connections Available'.

After alot of faffing and searching on the net, I stumbled across the Device Manager and found that all of the Network Drivers have a Code 31 error. Then I noticed below these, that there is another error for an 'Unknown Device' which has a Code 28 error. On the Details tab in Properties for the Unknown Device, the Values state '00000040' and 'CONFIGFLAG_FAILEDINSTALL'.

Everything was working fine before, please can someone point me in the right direction?

I have attempted to update the Network Drivers to no avail. Obviously I would try to update the 'Unknown Device' if I knew what an earth it was!

Thank you very much in advance.

The computer is a Dell Vostro 1015 laptop with Windows 7.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-23T16:03:02+00:00

    Hi,

    • Were there any changes to your dad's computer because of which the issue started?

    I'd suggest you to follow these steps and check if the issue persists.

    Step 1:

    Uninstall and reinstall network adapters.

    a. Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.

    b. Locate Network adapters and expand the same.

    c. Select the wireless connection, right-click and select Uninstall.

    d. Restart the computer, if prompted.

    Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.

    Now, you may install the latest network adapter drivers and check if that fixes the issue.

    Refer the following Microsoft article for more information on updating drivers:

    Update drivers: recommended links

    **http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-drivers-recommended-links**

    Step 2:

    Perform system restore to the point your computer was functioning normally.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments