Unknown Device (Code 28) - All Network Drivers (Code 31)

Anonymous
2012-02-22T21:49:35+00:00

I'm trying to fix a problem with my Dad's computer, he advised that he couldn't connect to the internet anymore. When I took a look, the Network icon in the system tray says 'Not Connected - No Connections Available'.

After alot of faffing and searching on the net, I stumbled across the Device Manager and found that all of the Network Drivers have a Code 31 error. Then I noticed below these, that there is another error for an 'Unknown Device' which has a Code 28 error. On the Details tab in Properties for the Unknown Device, the Values state '00000040' and 'CONFIGFLAG_FAILEDINSTALL'.

Everything was working fine before, please can someone point me in the right direction?

I have attempted to update the Network Drivers to no avail. Obviously I would try to update the 'Unknown Device' if I knew what an earth it was!

Thank you very much in advance.

The computer is a Dell Vostro 1015 laptop with Windows 7.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-19T13:35:27+00:00

    That may be related to Gigabyte EasyTune.

    Is EasyTune installed or has been installed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-19T10:29:25+00:00

    hi

    there is an error for an 'Unknown Device' which has a Code 28 error. On the Details tab in Properties for the Unknown Device, the Values state '00000040' and 'CONFIGFLAG_FAILEDINSTALL'.

    I have done as you have advised - Device Manager - Right Click Unknown Device - Proberties - Details tab - BUT....

    In the drop down under 'Property' there is no 'Hardware IDs'. The list consists of:-

    ConfigFlags

    Physical Device Object Name

    Capabilities

    Enumerator

    Power data

    Removal policy

    Removal policy default

    Install state

    Base Container ID

    Device Instance Path

    DevNode status

    Problem code

    Parent

    Siblings

    Container ID

    Safe Removal Required

    Install Error

    Install Date

    First Install Date

    Class long name

    Class short name

    Class icon path

    Lower logo version

    Display name

     I located the "Unknown Device" in the Device Manager and right-click the device > Properties > Details, then selected "Device Instance Path" from the drop-down menu under "Property

    then get

    ROOT\LEGACY_ GPCIDRV\0000

    what does it mean ?help

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-18T17:42:42+00:00

    Most likely the ST Microelectronics Accelerometer or Motion Sensor Driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-22T22:58:08+00:00

    00000040

    CONFIGFLAG_FAILEDINSTALL

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-31T11:53:32+00:00

    Hi M Leary,

    It may be the ASUS Wireless Radio Control according to the following link:

    http://rog.asus.com/forum/printthread.php?t=25165&pp=10&page=1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments