How to pair/connect Bluetooth audio device to Windows 7 PC when Windows 7 reports "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Bluetooth Peripheral Device. No driver found."

Anonymous
2012-02-29T00:14:29+00:00

I spent many hours trying to figure out how to connect my two Windows 7 64-bit PCs to my Bluetooth stereo audio device (the Motorola S705) but the problem seems to be generic to many Bluetooth stereo audio devices, and the web shows many people having this problem, so I thought I'd post my solution in case it helps anyone else.

SYMPTOMS:

A Bluetooth-capable Windows 7 PC can pair, but can’t connect, to a stereo audio device (like the Motorola S705 SoundPilot) via Bluetooth. The PC and the audio device may pair, but then Windows 7 provides the following error messages: “Device driver software was not successfully installed. Bluetooth Peripheral Device. No driver found.”

It may be worth noting that I had no problem connecting my Bluetooth audio device to my cell phone or Windows XP PC. And the Windows 7 PC was able to connect to other Bluetooth devices, such as mice or keyboards.

CAUSE:

Even though a Windows 7 PC may have a working Bluetooth driver that connects to some Bluetooth devices (like mice or keyboards), a Windows 7 PC may not have the necessary A2DP & AVRCP (audio-capable) Bluetooth software & drivers installed. This software deficiency may occur, especially if the PC has been upgraded from an earlier version of Windows or the PC maker has simply not provided the latest driver update.  This problem can occur even if "Windows Update" is enabled and even if Windows 7 is allowed to automatically search for the driver online.

SOLUTION:

If the PC has an add-on Bluetooth adapter/dongle, download & install the latest driver directly from the Bluetooth dongle maker’s website, if possible.

A) If the PC has Bluetooth built-in, download & install the latest Bluetooth driver directly from the PC manufacturer, if possible.

B) If the add-on Bluetooth adapter/dongle maker, or the PC-maker doesn't offer full-featured Bluetooth software for Windows 7, it is possible (not guaranteed) that the maker of the Bluetooth chips inside the adapter/dongle/PC does offer such full-featured Bluetooth software (but the maker of the adapter/dongle/PC didn't bother to test it and include it on their website).  If so, you may be able to do the following:

  1. On the Windows 7 PC, go into to the “Device Manager” (Start Menu/Control Panel/Device Manager) and expand “Bluetooth Radios”.  You should see two items.  (Ignore the 2nd item which says something like Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.)  The first item should contain the name of the Bluetooth module, possibly with the name of the Bluetooth chipmaker (e.g. Broadcom, Cambridge Silicon Radio "CSR", or Toshiba), but also possibly with just the module maker's name (e.g. Dell, or HP).  If the chipmaker's name isn't apparent, then double-click on the icon, click on the "Details" tab, and then select "Manufacturer" from the "Properties" drop down menu.  The Bluetooth chipmaker's name should appear under "Properties".  If not, you're probably out of luck but you could surf around some of the other "Properties" so see if you can get a hint at the Bluetooth chipmaker's name.
  2. Go to the chipmaker’s website to download the latest driver. For example, in the case of a Broadcom Bluetooth radio chip, download the Widcomm Bluetooth software from Broadcom’s website, http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php
  3. With the Bluetooth hardware adapter/dongle installed (if not built-in), install the chipmaker’s Bluetooth software.

Once the Bluetooth software is installed, you should be able to pair and connect with the Bluetooth audio device in the normal manner (Start Menu/Devices and Printers/Add a device).

Note that in any case, once the driver is installed and the Bluetooth audio device is properly installed, paired, and connected, you may need to go into the audio properties of the PC (Start Menu/Control panel/Sound) and set the default audio playback device to be the Bluetooth headphones when listening through the Bluetooth audio device. When not listening through the Bluetooth audio device, the user will have to switch the default audio playback device back to the speakers.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-29T18:54:20+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the resolution, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue.

If you have any other queries or comments related to Microsoft Windows, you can post it on Microsoft Answers Forum and we will be happy to answer you.

Hope this information helps you.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-01T17:29:32+00:00

    Glad you've sorted it out!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T23:51:45+00:00

    Hello.

    I do hope this is still quite active. I seem to be having issues with my own laptop that I got for Christmas. The Laptop is a Dell Latitude D630, but the operating system installed is a Windows 7  Pro 64-bit, which is not actually supported on the dell site for this laptop type. It has an internal bluetooth, which can be toggled (as well as the wifi) with a switch on the side. The bluetooth works for file transfer, but not Audio, just like the title of this forum denotes. I'm not certain which drivers to get or what to do for it, since I can't go to the dell site and look up the model, because of the unsupported windows version. When I go to my Device Manager, and then expand Bluetooth Radios, I have two things: Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module, and Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.

    The details of these things are as follows, well, the relevant details anyhow.

    Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module:

         Manufacturer: Dell

         Provider: Microsoft

    Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator:

         Manufacturer: Microsoft

         Provider: Microsoft

    Sigh...I do not know what to do...The drivers say they are up to date...I've tried the Broadcom thing but it stopped at the plug in or turn on device thing. I don't think it would have worked anyways...

    Anyways...I hope this is enough information and I hope someone is able to help me in this. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-09T02:29:26+00:00

    It seems that Dell is hiding the Bluetooth chipmaker information.  (One more reason to hate Dell.)  However, based on a quick web search, it looks like the chipmaker may be Toshiba.

    It looks like Dell didn't bother to develop a 64-bit Windows 7 driver for that Bluetooth module.  (One more reason to hate Dell.)  But it's probably worth trying the 64-bit Windows Vista Driver from Dell's website.

    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=2TDN8

    If that doesn't work, you could try installing a Toshiba Bluetooth Driver for Windows 7 64-bit.  I found this one.  Maybe you can find a better one.

    http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/15160/

    If none of that works and you really need Bluetooth audio, you could either swap out your internal Bluetooth card or just add a small USB Bluetooth adapter (which sell for about $1, shipped on Ebay and barely protrude from your laptop).

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-09T05:45:57+00:00

    Oh dear. I seem to have messed something up. I tried both of them, and uninstalled one before I did the other, via system restore...and when I installed the toshiba one my bluetooth things disappeared entirely from the device manager and my bluetooth no longer works at all. It worked for file transfer but not audio devices. I really need help now. If you wish, you can reach me at my yahoo: ******@yahoo.com so that it will be a bit faster and I can explain more in better detail. I can give you my skype by then if you want or it can be just from yahoo or just from this forum. The but I shall not post my skype here for all to see. Anyways. I really need help. I'm going to try reinstalling the vista one, but I'm not sure if it will work.

    Edit: By the way, I was panicked when I typed this...I meant to say you can message my email and such if you feel comfortable to do so... None of the things that were in my device manager that I listed before, are there anymore. I've restored even to before I tried installing the first link you posted... But the Bluetooth section is entirely gone... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments