How to pair/connect Bluetooth audio device to Windows 7 PC when Windows 7 reports "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Bluetooth Peripheral Device. No driver found."

Anonymous
2012-02-29T00:14:29+00:00

I spent many hours trying to figure out how to connect my two Windows 7 64-bit PCs to my Bluetooth stereo audio device (the Motorola S705) but the problem seems to be generic to many Bluetooth stereo audio devices, and the web shows many people having this problem, so I thought I'd post my solution in case it helps anyone else.

SYMPTOMS:

A Bluetooth-capable Windows 7 PC can pair, but can’t connect, to a stereo audio device (like the Motorola S705 SoundPilot) via Bluetooth. The PC and the audio device may pair, but then Windows 7 provides the following error messages: “Device driver software was not successfully installed. Bluetooth Peripheral Device. No driver found.”

It may be worth noting that I had no problem connecting my Bluetooth audio device to my cell phone or Windows XP PC. And the Windows 7 PC was able to connect to other Bluetooth devices, such as mice or keyboards.

CAUSE:

Even though a Windows 7 PC may have a working Bluetooth driver that connects to some Bluetooth devices (like mice or keyboards), a Windows 7 PC may not have the necessary A2DP & AVRCP (audio-capable) Bluetooth software & drivers installed. This software deficiency may occur, especially if the PC has been upgraded from an earlier version of Windows or the PC maker has simply not provided the latest driver update.  This problem can occur even if "Windows Update" is enabled and even if Windows 7 is allowed to automatically search for the driver online.

SOLUTION:

If the PC has an add-on Bluetooth adapter/dongle, download & install the latest driver directly from the Bluetooth dongle maker’s website, if possible.

A) If the PC has Bluetooth built-in, download & install the latest Bluetooth driver directly from the PC manufacturer, if possible.

B) If the add-on Bluetooth adapter/dongle maker, or the PC-maker doesn't offer full-featured Bluetooth software for Windows 7, it is possible (not guaranteed) that the maker of the Bluetooth chips inside the adapter/dongle/PC does offer such full-featured Bluetooth software (but the maker of the adapter/dongle/PC didn't bother to test it and include it on their website).  If so, you may be able to do the following:

  1. On the Windows 7 PC, go into to the “Device Manager” (Start Menu/Control Panel/Device Manager) and expand “Bluetooth Radios”.  You should see two items.  (Ignore the 2nd item which says something like Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.)  The first item should contain the name of the Bluetooth module, possibly with the name of the Bluetooth chipmaker (e.g. Broadcom, Cambridge Silicon Radio "CSR", or Toshiba), but also possibly with just the module maker's name (e.g. Dell, or HP).  If the chipmaker's name isn't apparent, then double-click on the icon, click on the "Details" tab, and then select "Manufacturer" from the "Properties" drop down menu.  The Bluetooth chipmaker's name should appear under "Properties".  If not, you're probably out of luck but you could surf around some of the other "Properties" so see if you can get a hint at the Bluetooth chipmaker's name.
  2. Go to the chipmaker’s website to download the latest driver. For example, in the case of a Broadcom Bluetooth radio chip, download the Widcomm Bluetooth software from Broadcom’s website, http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php
  3. With the Bluetooth hardware adapter/dongle installed (if not built-in), install the chipmaker’s Bluetooth software.

Once the Bluetooth software is installed, you should be able to pair and connect with the Bluetooth audio device in the normal manner (Start Menu/Devices and Printers/Add a device).

Note that in any case, once the driver is installed and the Bluetooth audio device is properly installed, paired, and connected, you may need to go into the audio properties of the PC (Start Menu/Control panel/Sound) and set the default audio playback device to be the Bluetooth headphones when listening through the Bluetooth audio device. When not listening through the Bluetooth audio device, the user will have to switch the default audio playback device back to the speakers.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-29T18:54:20+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the resolution, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue.

If you have any other queries or comments related to Microsoft Windows, you can post it on Microsoft Answers Forum and we will be happy to answer you.

Hope this information helps you.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-05T13:19:03+00:00

    Oh my god!  After trying to figure out this problem for more than a year I followed Brian's suggestion and went to the HP website and downloaded the “HP Integrated module with Bluetooth 2.1 wireless“  and it worked. 

    I really do not understand the wisdom of Microsoft of making something so difficult, a problem probably thousands of people suffer from for something that should just be a standard configuration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-05T15:00:37+00:00

    Brian,

    I posted this comment/complaint a few months ago. I gave up on a reply and now I have purchased a new laptop with Windows 8.1. Result? Exactly the same I cannot pair my Logitech UE Boombox with my ASUS X550C laptop. Perhaps it is the fault of ASUS?

    Whatever, I don't much care who is to bleme and they will both blame each other I'm sure. However, meanwhile I have no Bluetooth connection between the two and that is spoiling my transmission on the Internet radio to my Boombox...

    A curse on both their houses.

    But. Thanks for your post.

    Best regards,

    David Hepburn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-01T11:51:33+00:00

    Ive a logitech bt adapter and soooooo struggled to get it to connect, i have tried all the above suggestions, updated using asus driver update, updated broadcomm, updated whatever i can to no avail.

    so id briefly read over this while looking at others... and sort of followed this without reading, ie i just deleted everything, through device manage that said bluetooth. and of course it worked.

    Well so far; as it at least connects to my laptop (asus n61jq win7), just gotta get some sound connect. Will try another day as its late, and just wanted to let everybody know to try this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-02T06:03:32+00:00

    I plugged in a Broadcom USB/Bluetooth adapter into my Windows 7 Ultimate PC.  I also recently got an Auvio HBT2000W Bluetooth speaker unit.  When I installed Broadcom's WIDDCOM Bluetooth Software it paired and connected with the Auvio and played beautifully for the rest of the Windows session.  But when I rebooted the system the Auvio remained paired but I could not "connect" to it.  Whenever I try to connect to it I get an error message back without any error codes on any further description/suggestions.  It only urges me to retry connecting again.

    I tried updating the Broadcom drivers in Device Manager, to no avail.

    How can I get it to work properly after rebooting?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments