How to pair/connect Bluetooth audio device to Windows 7 PC when Windows 7 reports "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Bluetooth Peripheral Device. No driver found."

Anonymous
2012-02-29T00:14:29+00:00

I spent many hours trying to figure out how to connect my two Windows 7 64-bit PCs to my Bluetooth stereo audio device (the Motorola S705) but the problem seems to be generic to many Bluetooth stereo audio devices, and the web shows many people having this problem, so I thought I'd post my solution in case it helps anyone else.

SYMPTOMS:

A Bluetooth-capable Windows 7 PC can pair, but can’t connect, to a stereo audio device (like the Motorola S705 SoundPilot) via Bluetooth. The PC and the audio device may pair, but then Windows 7 provides the following error messages: “Device driver software was not successfully installed. Bluetooth Peripheral Device. No driver found.”

It may be worth noting that I had no problem connecting my Bluetooth audio device to my cell phone or Windows XP PC. And the Windows 7 PC was able to connect to other Bluetooth devices, such as mice or keyboards.

CAUSE:

Even though a Windows 7 PC may have a working Bluetooth driver that connects to some Bluetooth devices (like mice or keyboards), a Windows 7 PC may not have the necessary A2DP & AVRCP (audio-capable) Bluetooth software & drivers installed. This software deficiency may occur, especially if the PC has been upgraded from an earlier version of Windows or the PC maker has simply not provided the latest driver update.  This problem can occur even if "Windows Update" is enabled and even if Windows 7 is allowed to automatically search for the driver online.

SOLUTION:

If the PC has an add-on Bluetooth adapter/dongle, download & install the latest driver directly from the Bluetooth dongle maker’s website, if possible.

A) If the PC has Bluetooth built-in, download & install the latest Bluetooth driver directly from the PC manufacturer, if possible.

B) If the add-on Bluetooth adapter/dongle maker, or the PC-maker doesn't offer full-featured Bluetooth software for Windows 7, it is possible (not guaranteed) that the maker of the Bluetooth chips inside the adapter/dongle/PC does offer such full-featured Bluetooth software (but the maker of the adapter/dongle/PC didn't bother to test it and include it on their website).  If so, you may be able to do the following:

  1. On the Windows 7 PC, go into to the “Device Manager” (Start Menu/Control Panel/Device Manager) and expand “Bluetooth Radios”.  You should see two items.  (Ignore the 2nd item which says something like Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.)  The first item should contain the name of the Bluetooth module, possibly with the name of the Bluetooth chipmaker (e.g. Broadcom, Cambridge Silicon Radio "CSR", or Toshiba), but also possibly with just the module maker's name (e.g. Dell, or HP).  If the chipmaker's name isn't apparent, then double-click on the icon, click on the "Details" tab, and then select "Manufacturer" from the "Properties" drop down menu.  The Bluetooth chipmaker's name should appear under "Properties".  If not, you're probably out of luck but you could surf around some of the other "Properties" so see if you can get a hint at the Bluetooth chipmaker's name.
  2. Go to the chipmaker’s website to download the latest driver. For example, in the case of a Broadcom Bluetooth radio chip, download the Widcomm Bluetooth software from Broadcom’s website, http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php
  3. With the Bluetooth hardware adapter/dongle installed (if not built-in), install the chipmaker’s Bluetooth software.

Once the Bluetooth software is installed, you should be able to pair and connect with the Bluetooth audio device in the normal manner (Start Menu/Devices and Printers/Add a device).

Note that in any case, once the driver is installed and the Bluetooth audio device is properly installed, paired, and connected, you may need to go into the audio properties of the PC (Start Menu/Control panel/Sound) and set the default audio playback device to be the Bluetooth headphones when listening through the Bluetooth audio device. When not listening through the Bluetooth audio device, the user will have to switch the default audio playback device back to the speakers.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-02-29T18:54:20+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the resolution, as this would help other members of the community facing the same issue.

If you have any other queries or comments related to Microsoft Windows, you can post it on Microsoft Answers Forum and we will be happy to answer you.

Hope this information helps you.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-15T17:58:14+00:00

    Alright. Small other question. x3 It seems that after a time of waiting, I now have an option update. Its labeled: CSR plc - Audio - Bluetooth Stereo Audio. I've tried to install it, hoping it would work, but the error code that comes up when it fails is apparently one that states that basically I need to plug in the device that the drivers would be for...meaning my bluetooth... When I tried to do the Toshiba drivers that you showed me, it said a similar thing... No Bluetooth Detected. Please plug in the device to continue. Or something like that. So... My bluetooth is internal...I'm not sure...how I'd...erm...go about plugging it in... Does this issue spark some familiarity? It seems I might have found the right updates and whatnot...I just...don't know how to plug in an internal bluetooth WHICH is already connected, to get it to detect that its there when installing updates... ;-; Very odd matter...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T22:27:00+00:00

    In step 1 of my original post I said that you need to determine the chipmaker for your Bluetooth radio.  Are you sure that your chipmaker is Broadcom?  If not, then you can't install Broadcom's Bluetooth driver (which is what your error message seems to indicate).  If you're getting that error message even though you have a Broadcom Bluetooth chip, then it could be because the chip is somehow coded as an Acer-OEM version that Broadcom refuses to support.  Also, of course, you might want to double-check that you got the right version of the driver (32-bit or 64-bit) for your particular OS.

    I just did a quick look on Acer's website for your model.  There is one Win-7 32-bit Bluetooth driver from chipmaker Broadcom and a few Wireless LAN drivers available from chipmakers, Atheros/Qualcomm & Intel.  While "Wireless LAN" usually refers to WiFi, often the chips/modules do both WiFi and Bluetooth.  I'm not if sure that's the case for your module(s).  You may want to read the preceding 6 posts, if you haven't already done so.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T10:08:07+00:00

    Dear RazzMcTazz,

    Your post was most useful. However, having followed your instructions to the letter, the Broadcom Site failed to install the software. All I got was "Failed to validate Bluetooth device".

    Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit. I'm trying to pair my Acer 5810T with a Logitech UE Boombox. Previously, I was able to pair and connect with a Logitech Boombox with the previous A2DP driver which no longer works for the UE Boombox but does work with my Samsung Galaxy SIII phone.

    What to do now?

    Best regards,

    David Hepburn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-10T21:59:59+00:00

    Your explanation of the problem is good and the pictures are very helpful, but it's hard for me to say what's going on between your PC and your Bluetooth peripheral.

    According to the Device Manager, you have Bluetooth Radio drivers installed.  That's good.  But it's impossible for me to know which capabilities (Bluetooth protocols) that the driver software stack supports and which ones your Bluetooth peripheral requires (like AVRCP).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_protocol_stack

    According to the Driver Installation report you posted, it seems that at least 3 of the needed protocols installed properly.  I'm not sure what the "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" failure means.  It could be driver specific to your peripheral. Maybe something downloadable from your peripheral makers?  Or it could be an insufficiency in your Bluetooth driver stack.

    The picture of the Device Manager seems to indicate that the drivers for the peripheral (not the drivers for the internal Bluetooth radio) did not install properly.  I'm not sure if any of that got fixed later when the green check marks appeared upon driver installation for your peripheral.  Those yellow exclamation points happen (I think) when either your Bluetooth driver stack doesn't support the needed protocols or the devices specific driver hasn't been installed.  I can't say which.

    I don't know which capabilities your Bluetooth peripheral has (I assume it's just a stereo headset without a microphone).  If the driver is installed properly then you may need to set the default under the Sound/Playback tab to one of the Bluetooth options.  I'm pretty sure it won't work as you've shown with the sound set to come out of the "Speakers".  (You'd have to set it back to speakers when not using the Bluetooth peripheral device).  Some Bluetooth stacks (like the Broadcom Widcomm stack) have an interface that pops up when you connect a Bluetooth device connects, and that interface eliminates the need to change the sound output settings in the Windows Control Panel (like the ones you've pictured above).  That's another reason why it's good to have a new, well-supported Bluetooth radio and driver stack-- and so it may be worth spending a dollar or more on a newer Bluetooth radio for you PC.

    I don't think that the link you provided about the Windows Mobile Device Center is relevant.  I think that only applies to Windows phones as peripherals-- and I don't think your peripheral is a Windows phone.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments