What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Anonymous
2012-04-22T22:00:46+00:00

What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Windows has been taking 30 or so minutes to start.  I've tried repairing it but nothing seems to work and now I'm getting a blue screen that says "bad pool header".

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-23T16:12:31+00:00

Hi,

  1. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
  2. Do you get any specific error codes?

A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the most common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues).

Method 1:

Disconnect any external devices connected to the computer except the mouse and keyboard, check what happens.

With Windows 7, you can run a check disk from system recovery options using command prompt.

Refer the article mentioned below:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Method 2:

If the above step fails follow the steps:

Step 1:

Restart computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If safe mode works restart computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists.Follow “step 1” in the link to enable to clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow the step 7 from the article to “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

Method 3:

If the above step fails follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-20T14:11:27+00:00

    I did a system reset - previous to last Microsoft automatic update. Problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-20T14:12:31+00:00

    I did a system reset, to a date prior to the last Microsoft update. Problem solved. Very easy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-03T06:29:35+00:00

    Be sure to go to settings>updates and security and windows update advanced options set to auto update and if you own more microsoft devices auto update local network too. I had to update a malware patch but it works ok now

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-11T10:57:11+00:00

    As you have only had the machine for a few weeks take it back to the supplier. However, if you have an original 10 disc (which I doubt) then boot it from that or alternatively get another computer and download the ten onto a portable drive and then boot from that. As I have stated before, whilst 10 is good,it is not suitable for those with only one machine, yhose that are not geeks or do not have access to one. MS really need to sort all these problems out. I have had bad pool header for the first time this morning and yet NOTHING has been touched BUT the machine was left in sleep overnight. It often comes up with stupid BSoD if left on so now it gets shut down to stop it shenanigans. I have had 10 on this machine for a long while but have 2 other machines, 1 x XP and 1 X Vista and neither have given me the problems this has. Incidently I now build all my own machines as the rubbish installed by so called manufacturers has been the reason for nearly all my problems in the past. Vista was and still is the most stable platform I have ever had.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments