What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Anonymous
2012-04-22T22:00:46+00:00

What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Windows has been taking 30 or so minutes to start.  I've tried repairing it but nothing seems to work and now I'm getting a blue screen that says "bad pool header".

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-23T16:12:31+00:00

Hi,

  1. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
  2. Do you get any specific error codes?

A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the most common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues).

Method 1:

Disconnect any external devices connected to the computer except the mouse and keyboard, check what happens.

With Windows 7, you can run a check disk from system recovery options using command prompt.

Refer the article mentioned below:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Method 2:

If the above step fails follow the steps:

Step 1:

Restart computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If safe mode works restart computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists.Follow “step 1” in the link to enable to clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow the step 7 from the article to “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

Method 3:

If the above step fails follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-10T18:05:07+00:00

    I just "upgraded" to 10 and have "bad pool head" problem on repeateded startups...were you able to solve?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-14T11:46:40+00:00

    also having the same issue.  mine happens about every 2 to 3 days or so.  even after several updates.  please assist. 

    from my event log, I have this:

    - System
    - Provider <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power <br> --- --- --- --- --- <br><br><br><br><br> [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4} <br> --- --- --- --- ---
    EventID 41 <br> --- --- ---
    Version 3 <br> --- --- ---
    Level 1 <br> --- --- ---
    Task 63 <br> --- --- ---
    Opcode 0 <br> --- --- ---
    Keywords 0x8000400000000002 <br> --- --- ---
    - TimeCreated <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ SystemTime] 2016-01-14T10:12:30.364292800Z <br> --- --- --- --- ---
    EventRecordID 12939 <br> --- --- ---
    Correlation <br> --- ---
    - Execution <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ ProcessID] 4 <br> --- --- --- --- --- <br><br><br><br><br> [ ThreadID] 8 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
    Channel System <br> --- --- ---
    Computer SurfacePro3 <br> --- --- ---
    - Security <br> --- --- <br><br><br><br> [ UserID] S-1-5-18 <br> --- --- --- --- ---
    - EventData
    BugcheckCode 25
    BugcheckParameter1 0x20
    BugcheckParameter2 0xffffe00018562860
    BugcheckParameter3 0xffffe00018562880
    BugcheckParameter4 0x4020005
    SleepInProgress 0
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0
    BootAppStatus 0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-02T23:37:03+00:00

    I read all 3 sections about the bad pool header and all I read was about Win 7, 8, 8.1, and win 10 so did Microsoft remove all the answers concerning Win XP Pro w SP3 off line.

    I mean that didn't have to answer any more question but good grief what harm would there have been to let the answers ride along with the later versions.

    Dang I have Vista ultimate, Win 7 ultimate, and a legal copy of Win 10 that I particularly do not care for. I have Win 7 ultimate of my 2 laptops that I play with getting used to the program.

    Heck when Win XP pro came out I was still using Win 98 for 1 or 2 years before I made the complete switch to Win XP and sorry Microsoft but my main unit that has a I-7 chip on a DH87MC MB with 16 gigs memory on it and yes I have 4 extra HD's one of which has Win 7 Ultimate that I boot up once in awhile.

    So does anyone have a copy of removing the bad pool header that I can get from anyone here?

    I would appreciate it very much.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-13T18:44:30+00:00

    I'm afraid to say that this is not helpful at all, because you don't say anything about how to FIX THE PROBLEM  I have this problem, but not all the time.  I can't troubleshoot it with this simpleminded method of simply removing devices.  I NEED TO USE MY COMPUTER, that means I need to use its devices, ALL OF THEM.  I can't simply work in safe mode.  This answer is no use at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments