What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Anonymous
2012-04-22T22:00:46+00:00

What is a bad pool header and how do I fix it?

Windows has been taking 30 or so minutes to start.  I've tried repairing it but nothing seems to work and now I'm getting a blue screen that says "bad pool header".

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-23T16:12:31+00:00

Hi,

  1. Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
  2. Do you get any specific error codes?

A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the most common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues).

Method 1:

Disconnect any external devices connected to the computer except the mouse and keyboard, check what happens.

With Windows 7, you can run a check disk from system recovery options using command prompt.

Refer the article mentioned below:

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Method 2:

If the above step fails follow the steps:

Step 1:

Restart computer in safe mode and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If safe mode works restart computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists.Follow “step 1” in the link to enable to clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow the step 7 from the article to “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

Method 3:

If the above step fails follow the steps in the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-20T14:11:27+00:00

    I did a system reset - previous to last Microsoft automatic update. Problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-09T23:18:29+00:00

    I've got my new laptop for 2 weeks, but it started pop up the bad_pool_header error just two or three days after I use it. Is it because my system is win 10(I've heard win 10 has many bugs?) and how can I fix it or I have to contact the customer service to ask them to deal with it? Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-12T15:53:50+00:00

    My computer is not turning on at all. I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 on Windows 10. My screen turns Blue with a ): on it and says to search Bad_Pool_Head. Then it switches to the Lenovo loading screen for 2 seconds, then turns back to the blue screen again. Please help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-27T13:57:35+00:00

    When you get this error immediately look for the memory change you done. Mine was RAM issue when i get this error twice. Removed the added ram. Alk is well

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments