Windows 7 desktop icons keep moving and changing size on reboot

Anonymous
2012-07-20T18:25:40+00:00

After the latest Windows Update (7/10/12) the desktop icons move to the left side of the screen and change size from Small to Medium. Auto arrange is NOT checked. Only Align to grid is checked. There has been no other software installed since running Windows Update. The video drivers are up to date. I have tried all the recommendations from various forums online ranging from the ridiculous (Refresh) to third party software (Stardock Fences). The only thing that worked was Fences which I shouldn't need to use and even then if you click Refresh the icons try to move to the left side of the screen and do resize anyway. The fact that this all started after the required restart following the most recent Patch Tuesday updates. What the **** did you do this time Microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-29T20:27:30+00:00

Hello Aramis the Priest, 

Have you tried to manually uninstall the Windows Updates to see if a particular update is causing the issue?

The Recycle Bin is only on the default drive where the operating system was installed. This is normally the C:\ drive. The $ before RECYCLE means it is a hidden file. 

In Windows Explorer, click the View tab and select "Show  hidden files, folders, and drives" under the sub-menu "Hidden files and folders." Click "Apply" and "OK."

You will now see the RECYCLE. bin.

Let us know if this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-21T08:02:01+00:00

Hi,

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

**Method 1:**I would suggest you to perform a full system scan just to be safe.

Here is a link that will give you information on how to perform a full system scan:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2: Un-install and re-install display adapter drivers.

Refer the following steps:

a)     Click on Start, Right click on computer.

b)     Click on properties, click on Device manager

c)     Expand display adapter, Right click on the adapter option

d)     Click on uninstall

e)     Now go to your computer/ device manufacturer website, download the updated drivers and install them.

Method 3: Since it started after Windows update, perform System Restore, i.e. restore the computer to a date when it was working fine.

Step 1: System Restore: frequently asked questions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Note: After System Restore, you will be offered Windows Updates again, install them one by one in clean boot and check if that helps.

Step 2: A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished diagnosing, follow step 7 in the article to boot to normal startup.

You may also refer:

Updates: frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/updates-frequently-asked-questions

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-08-07T18:09:24+00:00

    I agree 100%. Apparently no one at MS seems to grasp the concept however.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-08-12T10:23:27+00:00

    Still no solutions to this?

    I found a few places giving links to download files (not gonna happen), change registry, etc etc etc.  The original poster replies back each time after some time and says "I had to do some other things but it's solved now"  and never say what they f*%$ did.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36434-45-desktop-icons-moving-autoarrange-unchecked

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout-in-windows-vista/

    these methods DO NOT work.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/cf77cea0-7cda-42d3-b96a-9d291bc66468/

    cannot test this as this is a work pc I do not have access to admin settings.

    Since this chick who f*$% my pc up had MY level of access in doing this and she isn't computer savey in any form...I SHOULD be able to undo what she did.  This is ONLY my account, after left logged in, and after she used it.  The "generic" account she also uses has not had this issue (she hasn't worked since f'ing my log in up though)

    I have this exact same problem but my pc is a work computer, I set up my own log in as co-workers kept deleting my useful shortcuts.  I had no problems and had each icon in a specific spot based on windows I usually have open and icons I click a lot.

    One day I forgot to log off...one day later (the girl using the computer is not very smart) all my icons are on the left and large.

    I have done EVERYTHING mentioned in these threads and the ones listed, except installing someone's software...I cannot install programs on a company computer (even if I wanted to)

    recap:

    auto align OFF

    align to grid OFF

    (rebooted after each)

    move an icon, hit refresh...moves

    *note: after reboot the icons are back to medium size.  I keep mine on small

    did the registry notepad thingy...didn't work

    Is there not a "save settings on exit" or something?

    This is HIGHLY annoying, not only does it not let me put them where I NEED them to be, but it doesn't even let me arrange the order they are in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-08-12T11:20:45+00:00

    Hello, it is simple!

    Try this!

    1. right click on a open space on your desktop and stroll over "view"
    2. uncheck the auto arrange
    3. check small icons
    4. check Align icons to grid
    5. check show desktop icons
    6. check show desktop gadgets

    That's it!

    See if problem still persists...

    Hope this helps!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments