Windows 7 desktop icons keep moving and changing size on reboot

Anonymous
2012-07-20T18:25:40+00:00

After the latest Windows Update (7/10/12) the desktop icons move to the left side of the screen and change size from Small to Medium. Auto arrange is NOT checked. Only Align to grid is checked. There has been no other software installed since running Windows Update. The video drivers are up to date. I have tried all the recommendations from various forums online ranging from the ridiculous (Refresh) to third party software (Stardock Fences). The only thing that worked was Fences which I shouldn't need to use and even then if you click Refresh the icons try to move to the left side of the screen and do resize anyway. The fact that this all started after the required restart following the most recent Patch Tuesday updates. What the **** did you do this time Microsoft?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-29T20:27:30+00:00

Hello Aramis the Priest, 

Have you tried to manually uninstall the Windows Updates to see if a particular update is causing the issue?

The Recycle Bin is only on the default drive where the operating system was installed. This is normally the C:\ drive. The $ before RECYCLE means it is a hidden file. 

In Windows Explorer, click the View tab and select "Show  hidden files, folders, and drives" under the sub-menu "Hidden files and folders." Click "Apply" and "OK."

You will now see the RECYCLE. bin.

Let us know if this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-21T08:02:01+00:00

Hi,

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

**Method 1:**I would suggest you to perform a full system scan just to be safe.

Here is a link that will give you information on how to perform a full system scan:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2: Un-install and re-install display adapter drivers.

Refer the following steps:

a)     Click on Start, Right click on computer.

b)     Click on properties, click on Device manager

c)     Expand display adapter, Right click on the adapter option

d)     Click on uninstall

e)     Now go to your computer/ device manufacturer website, download the updated drivers and install them.

Method 3: Since it started after Windows update, perform System Restore, i.e. restore the computer to a date when it was working fine.

Step 1: System Restore: frequently asked questions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Note: After System Restore, you will be offered Windows Updates again, install them one by one in clean boot and check if that helps.

Step 2: A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished diagnosing, follow step 7 in the article to boot to normal startup.

You may also refer:

Updates: frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/updates-frequently-asked-questions

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-26T14:26:30+00:00

    It seems this problem is not Microsof's fault and is not due to an OS update but is Malware.  I installed Combofix (you can get it at download.com), which was recommended by others in this post and is solved the problem by removing Malware that neither Malwarebytes or Norton360 found.  However it is not for the faint of heart as is removes suspicous Malware without any prompting but at least it creates a restore point before it does this.  One thing to note is your Antivirus MUST be temporary disabled before running it.  It also does a reboot after removal and it creates a log file of what was removed.  I also notice problems with programs not running, which scared the heck out of me, until I manually rebooted the machine again. Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-03T22:24:33+00:00

    Windows Desktop Icons Moving Around Problem

    I encountered this problem with Windows 7 (desktop icons moving around but not resizing themselves) and followed most of the straight forward suggestions in blogs, none of which solved the problem.

    I decided to create a new user account to see if I had the same problem.   I didn’t have the problem with the new user account so I concluded that my former user account had somehow become corrupted.  I decided it would be a lot easier to replace the corrupted user account with a new one (and copy over all my folders and files) rather than figure out how to fix the corrupted user account.

    The general process is likely well known but will summarize anyway:

    ·         Open Control Panel > select “Add or remove user Accounts” > select “Create a new account” and then follow the prompts.  Create the new User Account as the same user type as the corrupted user account.

    The process of copying over the folders and files from the corrupted user account is a lot easier if you organize them first.  In my case, all my folders and files were organized into the following destinations. 

    ·         Desktop Folder

    ·         Favorites Folder

    ·         My Documents Folder

    ·         My Pictures Folder

    Your files and folders might be organized differently so be sure to identify and organize them in your corrupted user account in a way that makes sense for you before copying them over (and eventually deleting them).

    In my first step, I just copied over the folders and files from my Desktop and Favorites first and temporarily accessed files from the My Documents and My Pictures folders from the corrupted user account.

    Once I was comfortable that everything was working (and I had everything backed up) I copied over all the folders and files from My Documents and My Pictures Folder to my new User Account and deleted the ones from the corrupted user account.   I kept the old user account for now but no longer use it.  I suppose at some point I’ll delete it.

    I noticed on a Microsoft site some instructions on identifying “Hidden Files” as part of the process of recreating a User Account but it seemed to overcomplicate the process and not really be necessary.  But I’m including in my post here so there is a complete picture of what I learned, did and did not do.

    Everything has worked great for over a month in my new user account – no moving of desktop icons!

    Hope this helps someone who encounters this frustrating problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-09T23:02:08+00:00

    Finally!

    Combofix seems to have fixed it for me as well! I can finally be organized again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments