Changing the PC to factory settings / Restoring Windows XP

Anonymous
2011-07-17T15:42:50+00:00

I have a DELL Inspiron 1501 with Windows XP Vista Capable preinstalled on my computer but no longer the DELL CD/DVDs. I want to restore the PC to the factory settings. I simultaneously press and release Ctrl and F11, and get 5 options: a) safe mode b) safe mode with networking c) safe mode with command prompt d) last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked) e) start Windows normally --> I select safe mode --> get 2 user names: mine and Administrator --> Click on Administrator --> get a message "Windows is running in safe mode ... To proceed to work in safe mode, click yes. If you prefer to use system restore your computer to a previous state, click no" --> tried both options but nothing happened. In option "yes" I got a black desktop with SAFE MODE appearing on screen, when restarted the PC, everything is still there. In option "no" there is no restore points available and as a result the only options available are CANCEL and BACK. I tried to restart afterwards and still no results. Any idea what could be done? By the way, I don't know if it is important but when I start the PC, I see the blue DELL logo in big letters in the middle of the screen but no blue bar with www.dell.com on it. Also, a Dell technician did bring the PC to the factory settings 15 months ago. Do you think the proprietary boot record could have been modified? What can be done? Many thanks for your response.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-23T08:12:46+00:00

Marcel

You can use cCleaner to do a more effecttive job of removing redundant files but I am becoming convinced that getting to 25% free disk based on your latest message is not achievable by the methods I have suggested to date. The core of the problem is 44.4 gb audio-video files. You either remove a large part of this collection to removable media like a flash drive or you replace the hard drive with someting like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Serial-ATA-Notebook-Laptop-Inspiron-11z-1110/dp/B003UIXCBS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_gl_electronics?keywords=dell%20inspiron%201501%20laptop%20upgrade%20hard%20drive&tag=lpo%5Fixdpamusukengl%5Felectronics-21&index=blended

The price differential between the US and the UK is a bit startling.

 A cheaper and simpler alternative would be to a buy a 32 gb memory stick like this example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-DataTraveler-101-32GB-Drive/dp/B003MWR3QW/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1311408998&sr=1-4

You can get 64 gb memory but they are nearly twice the price. The memory stick solution is a much simpler one to implement and it can be retained if you later choose to replace the computer.

Before buying a replacement drive you need to check you have the means to reinstall your system on a new hard drive. Do you still have the Dell Operating System CD and the Dell Drivers and Utilitities CD  that came with the computer -see page 85 of the Manual:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=pd_lpo_ix_dp_am_us_uk_en_gl_electronics?keywords=dell%20inspiron%201501%20laptop%20upgrade%20hard%20drive&tag=lpo%5Fixdpamusukengl%5Felectronics-21&index=blended

You should backup your data files and favourites to external media before replacing the harddrive.

To improve your system performance I would replace Trend with freeware alternatives.

Recommended replacement security products follow:

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/get-basic-protection

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes\_free as a support scanner

This is a no cost solution for a home computer user.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-24T23:05:57+00:00
  1. Yes those 3 products are what I recommend you use to replace Trend.

2 .Before you mentioned ATF -Cleaner I had not heard of it.,Perhaps I should say I had not  noticed it's existence. It took a Google search to find out what it is!

ATF seems to have it's fans, although I fancy they are far fewer than those using cCleaner. It does not seem to have a paid version. It is said to have a small footprint. It does not seem to offer the range of options which cCleaner provides. I doubt that is updated with the regularity that cCleaner is thereby ensuring that the software handles correctly the challenges posed by new products regularly being installed on computers.

cCleaner is what I recommend you use. Much more is widely known about cCleaner so more help is freely available if you should by chance ever need help regarding it's use.

3.  The whole point of unchecking automatic restart is to prevent the computer restarting so that you can read a Blue Screen of Death report. The setting is therefore working as intended. Has there been a recent BSOD error because if there has been one, you should post the details.

  1. I remain unconvinced that reverting to factory settings is the right thing to do. My reasons are that it is not at all clear which of two alternative restore options is on your computer. It could be the original method which was on your computer when it was purchased. If it is this then it does not work. It could be the new method more recently introduced by Dell or a combination of old and new. We have no way of knowing what the Dell technician did and whether or not the job was done properly. It is safer not to try to discover what might happen if you try using the advice Daave has uncovered until it is certain that other methods to resolve your problem are not goimg to work. 

When you have replaced Trend I would expect your system to be more responsive. After all the system has not been properly cleaned and defragmented for a long time. You will be able to do this with Trend removed and some audio files temporarily placed elsewhere so that the computer has more free disk space to allow Disk Defragmenter or another defragmenter to work.

The situation regarding using System Restore could easily be totally different after removing Trend. Removing Norton and McAfee, which are heavy weight security programmes like Trend, usually makes life a lot easier for the user of the computer. Notably in the case in the case of Norton, System Resore starts to work as intended.

If normal mode is working it is easier to access any of the safe mode options from normal mode than using any of the function keys or a combination of keys whilst the computer is booting. Can we please deal with your difficulties in these areas later when we have got your computer's system performance to a more acceptable level of performance?

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-07-18T08:34:38+00:00

It may be easier to solve a slow start than trying to restore to factory settings if you are willing to try?

What is the CPU and how much RAM does your computer have? Right click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties to get this information.

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report. Open Disk Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and click on Save As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder. Open the file, and place the cursor anywhere in the file, select Edit, Select All to highlight all text and copy and paste into the body of your message. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more informative.

Are any devices malfunctioning? Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information. Open Components under System Summary and click on Problem Devices. Is anything listed there?

Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? Right click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties, Hardware, and Device Manager. If yes what is the Device Error code?

To see Hidden Devices (Non Plug and Play Drivers) you need to select View, Show Hidden Devices. It is necessary to do this every time you open Device Manager if you need to see them.

A further complication can be Ghosted Devices –installed but not connected!

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/04/29/display-hidden-devices-in-device-manager-xp/

Event Viewer Reports

  1. Normally when an error occurs on your computer looking in Event Viewer should be your starting point for finding a solution. Most system related errors are logged and getting an exact copy of the relevant report is important. Unfortunately understanding the reports is not easy and most computer users need help with their interpretation. I have more to say later on interpretation.
  2. Event Viewer comprises three main Windows logs. These are Application, Security and System. For troubleshooting purposes System is by far the most important.
  3. To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System.
  4. A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. You will see a button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event Viewer. This places a copy of the report into your Clipboard. Paste into the body your message. Make sure that this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.
  5. There are three types of Report, being Information, Warning and Error reports. In most situations it is Error Reports that offer the best information but occasionally Warning Reports provide useful clues.
  6. All reports have date and time stamps and when troubleshooting it is important to concentrate on more recent reports. Study reports since the point when the computer was last booted and then check whether a similar report appeared in the previous session. If errors do not repeat investigation as to why they occurred is wasted effort.
  7. Within individual reports the more important information is Event ID and Source as these help when looking for help on the internet. The description is equally important and copying the exact text for use as the search criteria greatly helps getting better results when using Google. Do not paraphrase descriptions when asking others for help.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-20T19:27:30+00:00

    Hi Gerry,

    Many thanks for the last messages.

    1. I've run the cCleaner and I managed to gain probably 3GB.
    2. The Google options are mostly unchanged.
    3. Hidden Files - everything is done except one thing ""Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked". In the Settings it is recommended to have it checked. What should I do then?
    4. In my previous message I asked you about the compression, if I got you right.

    Is it the right procedure I described below?

    Regarding the C partition - wanted to make sure I understand it correctly. Or maybe you can elaborate on this one. I open the My Computer folder and click on C drive. There I have several folders: bfat, Config.Msi, dell, Documents and Settings, drivers, i386, Jts, My Documents, My Downloads, My Audio, Program Files, Windows. I should click each one individually, right click and send to Compressed Folder. Right?

    1. In the previous message I also asked you about the antivirus sofware.

    Regarding the malware, what's the difference between p.1 and p.2 you wrote (Superantispyware etc. vs. Norton/Avira Antivir). In other words, do I need to have 1 program from each of these 2 points? I assume you need to choose just one program under each point so there is no conflict between them, right? It's either superantispyware or malwarebytes, correct?

    1. Another thing I wanted to ask you what is a potential reason why the PC shuts down automatically. Lately it may happen a couple of times a day.

    Look forward to the next message.

    Marcel

    Here is the last Disk Defragmenter Report.

    Volume (C:)

        Volume size                                = 71.36 GB

        Cluster size                               = 4 KB

        Used space                                 = 63.17 GB

        Free space                                 = 8.19 GB

        Percent free space                         = 11 %

    Volume fragmentation

        Total fragmentation                        = 4 %

        File fragmentation                         = 8 %

        Free space fragmentation                   = 1 %

    File fragmentation

        Total files                                = 64,671

        Average file size                          = 1 MB

        Total fragmented files                     = 2,170

        Total excess fragments                     = 29,814

        Average fragments per file                 = 1.46

    Pagefile fragmentation

        Pagefile size                              = 1.31 GB

        Total fragments                            = 1

    Folder fragmentation

        Total folders                              = 7,982

        Fragmented folders                         = 72

        Excess folder fragments                    = 281

    Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation

        Total MFT size                             = 104 MB

        MFT record count                           = 72,909

        Percent MFT in use                         = 68 %

        Total MFT fragments                        = 13


    Fragments       File Size       Most fragmented files

    1,794           49 MB           \Documents and Settings\RUSTY\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\h3vapexu.default\urlclassifier3.sqlite

    1,585           680 MB          \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop\8f8d59adc5ca\rpm.cf1

    1,454           660 MB          \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop\8f8d59adc5ca\rpm1m.cf1

    1,389           87 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\iaudata\_filedir\828950_c421ef92-7835-4947-af39-7a63d62013a4.7z

    1,103           158 MB          \Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\lpt$vpn.245

    814             30 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log

    813             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.7.bak

    699             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.9.bak

    698             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.1.bak

    639             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.8.bak

    596             23 MB           \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\sp3.cab

    546             220 MB          \Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop\8f8d59adc5ca\fii.cf1

    536             55 MB           \Program Files\LimeWire\lib\LimeWire.jar

    500             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.5.bak

    411             17 MB           \WINDOWS\Installer\50a843.msp

    401             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.6.bak

    362             19 MB           \WINDOWS\Installer\340f2f.msp

    325             24 MB           \Jts\jars\jts4launch_1309380237000.dat

    311             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.0.bak

    300             11 MB           \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\msncli.exe

    294             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.2.bak

    282             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.3.bak

    271             11 MB           \WINDOWS$hf_mig$\KB2530548-IE8\SP3QFE\ieframe.dll

    271             11 MB           \WINDOWS$hf_mig$\KB2497640-IE8\SP3QFE\ieframe.dll

    259             8 MB            \WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\shell32.dll

    259             8 MB            \WINDOWS$hf_mig$\KB2483185\SP3QFE\shell32.dll

    255             50 MB           \Program Files\Trend Micro(2)\AMSP\debug\Amsp_DebugLog.log.4.bak

    247             11 MB           \WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ieframe.dll

    226             5 MB            \WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wmp.dll

    225             25 MB           \System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP418\snapshot\_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments