I have to restart my print spooler each time I print

Anonymous
2011-11-14T22:04:02+00:00

Original Title: Printer Spooler

I've got a problem with my printer spooler. I can restart it but it always shuts off when I go to print something.  I went to programs/features and clicked turn features on/off and under printer documentation services the LPD and LPR, and fax/scan are selected. Internet client is not checked.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T16:19:32+00:00

    More information if needed.  On the turn windows features on/off.  I checked the Print and Document Services and the following are checked.

    Internet Print Client

    LPD Print Service

    LPR Port Monitor

    Windows fax and scan

    Should these all be checked?

    In the C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS....I keep deleting the files that it will allow me to, but they always come back on restart.  Also, my computer is a Dell and only a little over a year old.  I also tried doing a restore to an earlier date and that didn't help either.  Also tried the PC Cleaner software to clean up the machine and that did nothing as well although it cleaned up over 1000 unnecessary files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T19:13:33+00:00

    OK,

    try to use "msconfig" utility to run Windows in  "Safe mode". Here is how to do it:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/force-windows-to-boot-into-safe-mode-without-using-the-f8-key/

    it is necessary to delete all files from the spooler.

    LC

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T20:14:13+00:00

    Geez, I was very happy for a minute or two.  I was able to go into safe start and that allowed me to delete all the files in C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS.  At last progress, so I was able to print out a document and was elated.  The next document I tried printing I was back to square one and all the air went out of my balloon.  Went to the above file and all kinds of stuff is back in there.  I could copy but it won't let me paste so I can't show you what's in there but it appears it is the same stuff that was in there including one SHD and one Shockwave Flash file.  The others are all TMP files and they alternate between 0KB and 16KB.  I'm going to go back in the safe mode and delete those files again and then uninstall the printer and reinstall it and see if that helps.  What have I got to lose.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T20:50:54+00:00

    Update....I went in safe start and deleted all the files again and rebooted.  The spooler is started at this time and it now appears that I can print all day as long as the documents are computer based.  Once I try to print an email on the internet is when the print spooler stops.  Weird.  I did not try and reload the printer software yet thinking that will not change anything as it doesn't appear to be a printer problem but a spooler problem.  I guess I can live with this as long as I remember that if I want to print anything off the internet I will have to copy and paste into a Word document.  It's still not right but better than where I was.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T20:58:26+00:00

    Oh, one thing I did see in that safe start is when I went to do a regular start, the selective start up was checked so I checked normal start up instead so all drivers load.  Don't know if that had anything to do with or not.  Still can't print from the internet but can print computer based documents.  Another item I see is that when I start the computer I see a flash display saying "g program not found - skipping autocheck."  I have no idea what a "g" program is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments