I tried this c:\windows\system32\spool\printers and the files came up and I deleted all that I could except the locked files and few of the other files would not delete because it said they were open in another place. I am using Windows 7, 64 bit. . Started the spooler after I deleted the files I could but when I went to print, it stopped again. Without the spooler running the printers do not show up in the print window.
I have to restart my print spooler each time I print
Original Title: Printer Spooler
I've got a problem with my printer spooler. I can restart it but it always shuts off when I go to print something. I went to programs/features and clicked turn features on/off and under printer documentation services the LPD and LPR, and fax/scan are selected. Internet client is not checked.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2011-11-15T00:14:49+00:00 -
Anonymous
2011-11-15T00:26:03+00:00 OK, try to delete the rest of the files from the directory "c:\windows\system32\spool\printers" in "Safe mode":
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode
LC
-
Anonymous
2011-11-15T05:19:10+00:00 James
Delete all the files and try again.
Are you using Adobe Acrobat Reader to read pdf files? If yes what version?
-
Anonymous
2011-11-15T13:52:02+00:00 For some reason I cannot start in safe mode. I do press F8 before the windows logo appears and it still starts in the normal mode. There are four files in that directory that have lock symbols on them. Two of them are related to Shock Wave Flash and the other two are labeled SHD or something like that. I deleted what the computer would allow me to but I did not delete the ones with the lock symbols, should I? Funny thing is that I deleted a bunch of files in that directory and when I restarted and went back there (C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS), another whole set of files were there. I was thinking that this directory is where print jobs were stored. Anyhow, I cannot start windows in the safe mode and I'm back to square one. I do want to thank everyone that is trying to help me out on this frustrating problem, I appreciate this very much.
-
Anonymous
2011-11-15T14:05:18+00:00 Oh, and yes I am using Acrobat Reader, version 10.1.1.