I have to restart my print spooler each time I print

Anonymous
2011-11-14T22:04:02+00:00

Original Title: Printer Spooler

I've got a problem with my printer spooler. I can restart it but it always shuts off when I go to print something.  I went to programs/features and clicked turn features on/off and under printer documentation services the LPD and LPR, and fax/scan are selected. Internet client is not checked.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-14T22:56:37+00:00

    Hi,

    try to look at this directory:

    C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

    If it is not empty - delete all the files in this directory and restart the printer spooler service.

    LC

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-14T23:06:23+00:00

    How do I get into the directory to check this?  I believe I have to get into DOS.

    Thanks for responding.

    JE

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-14T23:29:59+00:00

    I figured out how to get into DOS but when I type cmd, enter, then type in

    C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS, enter, I get an answer that it does not recognize that as an internal or external program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-14T23:49:15+00:00

    You should be able to go to that folder from Explorer.

    But to use the command prompt (DOS is not part of Windows 7)

    Enter the comand prompt.

    type *cd* which will bring you to the root directory.

    Then type cd Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

    cd = change directory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2011-11-14T23:55:31+00:00

    I would check the status of the Print Spooler Service.

    Click on the Start button and select Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Locate Print Spooler in the list. Check that it has started and that the StartUp type is Automatic.

    I suspect that it has stopped and that just starting it will not solve the problem.

    You may need to show hidden files. Type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

    Now access Windows Explorer and select c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Normally this folder should be empty but there is a problem when files with “spl” and “shd” extensions stick there. Delete the files and restart your computer. This may resolve your immediate problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments