Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T14:09:04+00:00

    Well, it will be interesting to see what the Comcast guy says.

    Here's another test one can try.  Hook the Computer directly to the cable modem and get an internet connection.  Then run a command prompt window and at the command prompt type

    ipconfig /all

    Then check the IP address, the DNS server, and the Gateway and make a note of it.

    Disconnect from the internet and connect again and then run ipconfig again and check the 3 IP addresses again to verify they are the same (I'm guessing they will be anyway).

    Then hook in the modem and connect via wireless.  Then log on to the modem and check the status and see if the IP, the DNS and the Gateway are the same at the level of the modem.  If not, then something is interposed.  At least I think that's what it would indicate.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T14:11:41+00:00

    That looks interesting.  I'll have to play with it sometime.  It may help them here.  At this point I don't know.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T16:18:44+00:00

    Good Morning ya'll.

    I ran a complete scan with both Avast and Malwarebytes and came up with 0 issues. I also did as Barb Bowman suggested and discovered that there is an open belkin n router in my neighborhood with thesame mac address as the one that is in my network infrastructure. It is not on the same channel I am however. ****

     

    That's weird...and should not be happening.

    Are you sure? Run inSSIDer and check again...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-23T04:45:27+00:00

    Hi Steve, my name is Andy and I have the same problem with Miranda had. I was searching answers about that problem and ended up here. I read all the conversation here and I have exactly same problem with Miranda had. I did everything I could maybe more then Miranda but stiil no clue and Belkin Wireless Router(WFA) and one other unknown switch I belive named Ubee still in my Network Infrastrcture as of today since 6 months. I tried to contact with Miranda but her email is not available, or not reponding so I decided to reply to you maybe if you heard of anything from Miranda about this problem or maybe you heard or discovered anything about it if so I would like to hear from you to maybe help me or help to someone with in same situation.

    thank yo very much

    Andy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments