Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-17T18:36:39+00:00

    Okay.  I just wanted to rule out that there wasn't one inbetween.  Some companies supply wireless routers.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-19T08:53:30+00:00

    I'm still very confused on how this neighbour "inserts his router" into the OPs network....doesn't make sense at all. If the neighbour wants to access the OPs network then why would he "insert his router" into the network? Why not just log-on as a User?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-19T11:42:17+00:00

    If I knew that answer I wouldn't have any issues figuring out how to fix it.  I don't know what is going on from the description, I can only guess.  It could be some kid who is playing with the networking, it could be some virus introduced into her system, or it could be terrorists requiring a large amount of bandwidth, or it could be some Windows glitch.  There is no way of determining what is going one without being there physically to investigate, which is why I defaulted to her contacting local law enforcement and asking their advice.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T02:59:57+00:00

    I actually have the same exact issue on my wireless network as the OPs network.  

    My laptop is running Windows 7 Home Prem and the wireless home network setup is through a NetGear router.  My Network infrastructure on the laptop shows the following - my laptop, my router name and this rogue Belkin Wireless Router.  The NetGear router is setup for MAC filtering so I know that this 'Belkin Wireless Router' is not connected to the network or does not come up as a connected wireless device.  I did notice that the 'Belkin Wireless Router' will disappear from the Network Infrastructure on the laptop and pop back up every couple of minutes.  My guess is that it is resetting itself.  I am able to select the properties for the Belkin Wireless Router and it comes up as model # F5D, with a MAC address and a serial number of "11111111111" and a unique identifier.  I cannot uninstall it or delete it.

    Its just baffling that it is coming up and there is no way to block/uninstall it from the laptop network search.  My concern is that my laptop has been compromised somehow and now a file that's linked to this 'Belkin Wireless Router' is on the machine in 'sleep mode' and activates every couple of minutes to potentially try to ping a server out on the web.  Maybe I am just paranoid.

    Any suggestions.

    Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments