Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-17T11:28:46+00:00

    Try turning off broadcasting on your router and change the Admin username and password.  Also, have you spoken with the neighbor?

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-17T13:32:07+00:00

    Thanks I will try turning of broadcasting as well. I have changed the name/PW several times, and that works for hours and sometimes days; but then the device(s) is/are back. I went a bought a new router yesterday, as mine was nearly 6 years old. I set it up OK, and everything looked good. The network map looked as follows: my computer===my router-----Internet.

    Then I went to the device webpage to turn off remote access to the router and check the other settings. After I hit save settings on the 3rd or so item the program asked for the username/pw again which I put in & then the continue button/screen came up like normal; when I hit OK suddenly my screen turned red and said that the security cert was false(it came from another source than was claimed) and that I should not continue. I closed the page, and then lost connectivity for a few minutes. When I reconnected to the web the network map looked like this:                         My computer===Unknown

    |

    |

    Switch

    |

    |

    belkin-n-wireless

    |

    |

    My router===Internet

    So I deleted the network profile from my computer and reset the router. New name, new PW. Once again just me and the router on the map. This morning  the map says :

    My computer===My router's name(with a pic that doesn't look like it)

    |

    Switch(with a pic of a hub looking thing)

    |

    My router's name(with a pic that looks exactly like it)====Internet

    Also when I click the house icon to go the the Network> page it says the following:

    Computer(1)

    Mine

    Network Infrastructure(2)

    Belkin N Wireless Router   My router's name

    Interestingly when I hover or click on my router I can see the mac ID,  IP addy, ect. When I hover on these other things I can see nothing and cannot click on them. I used to be able to see the properties of the Belkin N when I clicked on it, I have written down it's mac ID and unique ID, but it's IP addy has always been hidden. Now I cannot see any of this info. Either it is not clickable at all, or when you open properties it says unavailable or some such in all categories.

    I have not spoken to my neighbor, because I have no idea which one it is. I figure that it has to be someone within 8 or so houses of me, but I live on a circle, so short of wandering down the street with my laptop, not sure of how I would tell. Besides what would I say? Stop stealing my bandwidth? Hey jerk I'm sick of messing with this? ;-)

    If you could tell me what's going on, and/or how to stop it I'd be in your debt. At this point if you were to tell me that I'm silly and that it's normal for windows to display a random number of devices of random make and model as part of your network infrastructure, I'd just be relieved to not have to mess with it anymore. As it is though, I'm a bit worried and a lot ticked off about it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-17T15:42:58+00:00

    Also, you say you have cable internet.  How is the cable connected to your wireless router?  Are you sure there is not a Belkin router somewhere along the line?  Check with the cable company.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-17T18:20:11+00:00

    cable screws into linkseys modem, modem plugs into linkseys router. I suppose that the cable company could be using a belkin router, but their tech says "routers are not their problem, if I have a problem with mine they will be happy to install a cable outlet in my office for $40 so that I no longer need the router" or barring that, I should contact cisco and ask them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments