Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-23T11:48:10+00:00

    Hi Andy,

    All I can suggest is that you get your local internet provider service to take a look at the situation and see if they can resolve it.  Its not something I can take further because I'm not on site to be able to assess the situation.  I suspect, since you have exactly the same issue, that the issue is really a phantom one and not one with which to be overly concerned, but someone needs to investigate it on site to really resolve the issue.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-23T16:23:20+00:00

    I think I am having the above issue:  I am getting a message that says: "another computer is connected to the same IP address".  I tried to research for an answer through window systems.  At most to my question, the answer I received is that I need a network security code.  I was not using wireless for about one year.  My router is Linksys and I have reconnected the router for wirless internet.  When I set this up the first time, I did password protect my router.  Now,  I can not remember where I got the network security code from.  Can you help me with this???

    **Cynthia

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-26T12:16:40+00:00

    You need to contact your service provider and have them figure that out.  They provide you with the IP address, and if you are getting a conflict then they may need to fix that.  So contact them for help with that.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-04T17:18:38+00:00

    Thank you Steve.  All the information that you had provided me with worked.  My daughter put the password on the router.  I had the password written on the box from my router.  I just did not know how to do it.  So, between you and my daughter, I am good to go. 

    I never used forums prior to this question.  I am grateful that I did and you knew exactly what the problem was, and what to do to fix it.  Thank you again.

    Cynthia

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments