Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-10T16:24:13+00:00

    neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure.

    No he's not. All that's happening is that you are seeing his wireless router as an available wireless connection. Take your laptop to another street and you'll see many different wireless connections available.

    It's all perfectly normal. I can see at least three available wireless connections where I'm sitting - the one I connect through, one for my wife's business, and one from over the road.

    Just ignore it...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-15T17:19:50+00:00

    Ahhhh, NO. I can see like 8 available networks. None of them are listed as part of my "network infrastructure" in the network and sharing center active networks (as this one is). Also none of them are stealing my bandwidth, or turning off PW protection ect. I have specifically blocked the MAC addy of the device, removed and re installed the network, homegroup, changed all PWs, completely did a hard reset of the wireless, ect and within hours the device is back, and my bandwidth drops from  11-15mbps to 3-5mbps. 

    Thanks for answering, but I am not an idiot. Unplugging the modem for 5 min won't fix it either. (just to make sure I've covered the other obvious answer too.)

    If you know a better answer, please share. I am sure this is somehow related to the wireless router, but changing settings on that have not fixed the issue for long. I was wondering if there was a way to prevent access through the windows firewall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-15T17:43:23+00:00

    Ahhhh, NO. I can see like 8 available networks. None of them are listed as part of my "network infrastructure" in the network and sharing center active networks (as this one is).

    I have NO "network infrastructure" in my Network and Sharing Centre. Where EXACTLY are you seeing this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-16T21:37:22+00:00

    In Control panel>Network and Internet>Network Map.  The map usually shows my computer, my husband's, my router, and internet. Lately it shows all of these plus unknown, belkin n wireless, and switch. My router and modem are both linkseys. I am troubled because it appears that my computer is connecting through these things to get to my router. What is this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments