Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T22:41:23+00:00

    Actually I tried the netsh wlan show all suggestion from Gordon's post and discovered something.  The MAC address on the rogue 'Belkin Wireless Router' matched the one from one of the SSID's in the neighborhood network named Belkin_N+_D67D40.  I am still trying to determine if there are any processes associated with the rogue router but now think that this would indicate that the rogue router is not part of my network but just parallel to it.  What i cannot get my head around is why Windows is allowing it to come up in the network infrastructure for my network if it is a parallel network in my neighborhood and why i get connection drops.  Maybe my wireless card on the laptop needs to be reconfigured.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T22:21:35+00:00

    This is fascinating.  I wish I had the problem so I could figure it out.  You might check Device manager and Event Viewer just for the heck of it to see if there is anything there.  And go to Services and see if there is a non-MS service that looks weird that is set for automatic.  You might also boot to Safe Mode and see if the networking there is the same.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T22:16:06+00:00

    Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions.

    Actually when I check my network map it looks more like this LAPTOP ----- WIRELESS NETWORK NAME = SWITCH = HUB = NETGEAR ROUTER = INTERNET.  The switch and hub are part of the netgear router I presume since the Belkin Wireless Router is no where on the map.  Another point maybe that the software/hardware disguises itself as a switch/hub.  It would have to be really smart to my previous reply that it would need to mirror my laptop MAC address in order to pass through the router filter for wireless devices.

    I also went to the hijacked router websites you provided.  It seems to be an issue for Linksys routers but i still went through the 3 checks on http://tidystorm.com/423/the-redirect-virus-was-in-my-router/ and passed all so it doesn't look at least from this website that my Netgear router is hijacked.  

    I also did not get redirected to other websites or got any of the other errors folks kept getting from the thread on http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/thread?tid=6df7e15519290612&hl=en&start=440.

    I am going to try looking at all the processes running at start-up and in the background to try to pin this down.  Belkin router has a unique identifier that is listed but presumably its fake as is the serial number and mac address.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T21:54:32+00:00

    I do get dropped from my network so something is hogging my bandwight that is how I discovered that there is something else connected/in my network.  I am still trying to figure out if it is communicating to something and therefore it drops the network.  My laptop is only configured to connect to my router but if this is hijacking my network connection that probably is the reason why i get dropped network connections.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments