Neighbor keeps inserting his wireless router into my network infrastructure?

Anonymous
2011-08-10T13:09:02+00:00

neighbor keeps adding his router to my network infrastructure. Not sure how this is happening. Have deleted network profile and re installed with just my router, added/changed passwords, and within a few days here is this other router listed in addition to mine as part of the network infrastructure again. How do I prevent this? How much of a security risk is this vs. just really annoying? I have cable internet, and a Linkseys modem and wireless router.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T15:29:17+00:00

If someone hacked into your router, they could well have hacked into your computer also and you may have something running in your computer that is doing this.  Its very hard to diagnose over this forum.  But if you are losing bandwidth, it suggests hacking.  And that is illegal and it might be used for illegal purposes, so if you knew it was someone hacking, you can contact local law enforcement, as it is more than someone accessing your internet capability (such as might be the case if you had an unsecured network).  This is robbery by tampering with your system, so that is clearly not kosher.  They could also be using your bandwidth for illegal purposes and the cops would come after you, as its your account.

I would scan your systems for malware and viruses.  Then also go to Start | Run and type msconfig and see what programs are running at startup and its possible there is a program that is resetting the "Belkin thing" or is opening a back door to your system.  For diagnostic purposes you might also try turning off the wireless features completely and just running the router hard-wired and then see if you get the "Belkin thing" coming back in. 

Its likely someone very close to you as the wireless signal doesn't transmit over the entire neighborhood.  It could even be someone in their vehicle out on the street.  If you are friendly with the neighbors, you can ask them.  Otherwise I'd ask law enforcement for their advice.

steve

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T14:11:41+00:00

    That looks interesting.  I'll have to play with it sometime.  It may help them here.  At this point I don't know.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T14:09:04+00:00

    Well, it will be interesting to see what the Comcast guy says.

    Here's another test one can try.  Hook the Computer directly to the cable modem and get an internet connection.  Then run a command prompt window and at the command prompt type

    ipconfig /all

    Then check the IP address, the DNS server, and the Gateway and make a note of it.

    Disconnect from the internet and connect again and then run ipconfig again and check the 3 IP addresses again to verify they are the same (I'm guessing they will be anyway).

    Then hook in the modem and connect via wireless.  Then log on to the modem and check the status and see if the IP, the DNS and the Gateway are the same at the level of the modem.  If not, then something is interposed.  At least I think that's what it would indicate.

    steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T12:26:03+00:00

    Good Morning ya'll.

    I ran a complete scan with both Avast and Malwarebytes and came up with 0 issues. I also did as Barb Bowman suggested and discovered that there is an open belkin n router in my neighborhood with the same mac address as the one that is in my network infrastructure. It is not on the same channel I am however. It is listed on ch7 and my dual bands are on ch1 & ch149 respectively. None of the networks that show up are on the same channels as mine is. In msconfig I discovered an unknown vpn in startup in addition to the one I have for school, and disabled it. Nothing weird in services. Nothing has changed since I disabled that vpn, belkin router is still listed as part of my network. I do not have the problems listed in the other two links (router virus), though I did do the checks they suggested; everything appears to be fine; and my static DNS were all 0s.

    The belkin router has not shown up as part of the full network map since my reset I told you about in my post from the 17th. The map is still showing

    my computer===my router name(wrong icon)

                                             |

                                     switch

    |

    my router name(correct icon)===Internet

    I have to assume that this is normal, though before this issue started it looked like this

    my computer===my router name(correct icon)===Internet

    The belkin router is still randomly showing up on the Network> page which either shows

    Computer(1)

    mine

    Network Infrastructure(2)                             Network Infrastructure(1) 

    belkin n wireless , my network name ORmy network name

    As Martin stated, it comes and goes.  I guess I'll assume that this is a parallel thing since I have not seen it within my map since the last time I setup my router. I am going to contact Comcast to have a service guy come out and check my cable connection, If he discovers anything amiss I will let you all know. Thanks again for all the help.

    Miranda


    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-23T10:57:41+00:00

    Gordon B-P suggested using the netsh wlan show all command earlier in the thread. That will show what channels nearby networks are using.

    I use inSSIDer that implements this in a nice GUI.

    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments