MS Money 2007 on Win XP will not let me connect online telling me that Windows Live cannot verify my sign-in information. This happened in the last couple of days all of a sudden.

Anonymous
2010-11-21T14:09:45+00:00

Suddenly about November 17, 2010, I am not able to login to Microsoft Money 2007 on Windows XP using Windows Live ID.  It just stopped working.  The message states partially:  "Money could not verify your sign-in information.  You can use some Money features ...To regain access to online features, in the upper right corner of Money, point at the online updates icon, and click the down arrow.  Select sign-in with Windows Live ID...".  Well that didn't work either.  I have tried all the fixes recommended by Microsoft in kb891338 document and nothing works.  Did Windows Live ID stop working with Money 2007?  What do I do?

Thanks, Richard

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-11-26T16:51:20+00:00

Same problem, on same date for me as well.  Here is a work-around that allowed me to update my accounts online this morning.

  1. Start MS Money 2007 and enter the Windows Live ID (email address and password that is linked to your MS Money file) to sign in to Money.
  2. Click the checkbox below the password field for "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." then click the Next > button.
  3. After MS Money has started, click on the "butterfly" MSN.com icon in the toolbar located across top of MS Money 2007 window.
  4. Once the page loads within the MS Money 2007 browser click on the "Page Options" link in the top right hand corner of the MSN web page, under the Welcome to MSN.

<<<UPDATE on 11/30/2010: If the "My MSN" link is no longer available in the Page Options drop down menu, then scroll about half way down the MSN web page to the Hotmail section, and click the "Sign up" link.  Then follow step 7 below (you can skip step 5 and 6).>>> 

  1. Choose the "My MSN" link from the drop down from the Page Options link.
  2. Once the My MSN page loads within the MS Money 2007 browser click on the "Sign In" link in the top right hand corner of the My MSN web page.
  3. Sign in using your Windows Live ID and password that is linked to your MS Money 2007 file.
  4. Click the down arrow next to the Online Updates icon close to the top right hand corner of the MS Money 2007 window, next to the question mark for show help.

9. Choose the "Sign In with a Windows Live ID" link from the Online Updates drop down.

  1. Sign in using your Windows Live ID and password that is linked to your MS Money 2007 file.

11. Click the Online Updates icon in the MS Money 2007 window, next to the question mark for show help.

  1. Click "Update Now..." button.

Good luck!

Jim

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-28T22:19:27+00:00

    Wow. Thank you thank you!! This workaround is great, but Microsoft sucks. I wonder if they plan on fixing this problem. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-29T00:15:43+00:00

    Jim:

    Your method does not work for mme, and it may be because my broser is MSN.COM.

    I open MSN Money 2007 without access to online services (because my Windows Live ID is not accepted) and there is no MSN butterfly to click.  (I normally open MSN by clicking the butterfly on my desktop.)  However, in the MSN Money 2007 Home Page there is a tab "My Money" and a tab "MSN Money News."  I click "My Money" and can get updates without MSN Money 2007 connecting, but it is time consuming and deficient.  (My MSN Money 2007 also does not show "Page Options, My MSN, or Sign In" as you say.)

    From the MSN Money 2007 Home Page with "My Money" selected I see on the left today's date and MSN Money 2007 as headers followed by the following sections:  (1) Account List, (2) Bills Summary, (3) Budget Summary, (4) Reports Home, (5) Investing Home, (6) Planning Home, and (6) Taxes Home.  I selected "Portfolio Manager" under (5) and was able to update stock prices.  (It is the first time since 11/21.

    Under (1) I selected American Express, go to Amex, go to the Amex website, entered my ID and password, and downloaded transaction  updates, although MSN Money 2007 does not change the date for last update.  (That of course is because I am not connected according to MSN Money 2007.)  I did the same for Discover card, got transactions downloaded to date, but without the correct date listed in MSN Money 2007.  I'm still working Visa as it wants me to get an Identity Code because it does not recognize the PC I am using.  (It's the same PC as always but not entered through MSN Money 2007).  Although I have downloaced transactions to date MSN Money 2007 does not change the date from the last time I downloaded when it recognized my Windows Live ID.

    As I describe here one must go online for each account to get updates.  All accounts cannot be update simultaneously because MSN Money 2007 won't recognize Windows Live ID.  Thus it will be tedious and deficient as the date displayed is incorrect.

    Perhaps if I change my broser to Firefox or Internet Explorer your method will work.  Or, perhaps there is another issue that prevents me from signing it to MSn Money 2007 usinng Windows Live ID.

     Edward

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-11-29T05:39:04+00:00

    "I open MSN Money 2007 without access to online services (because my Windows Live ID is not accepted) and there is no MSN butterfly to click."

    "(My MSN Money 2007 also does not show "Page Options, My MSN, or Sign In" as you say.)"

    Abby43 - you may want to try adding the MSN.com butterfly to your MS Money 2007 toolbar.  You can add/customize toolbar icons by clicking the "Toolbar dsplay settings" link at the bottom of the MS Money 2007 settings window.

    Also make sure you have selected "Browse the internet from within Money" which can be selected by clicking the "Browser settings" link about 1/3 of the way down the MS Money 2007 settings window.

    My reference to "Page Options" in the step-by-step work-around is referring to a "web page" link in the top right hand corner of the MSN web page, under the Welcome to MSN (you will not see it until you use the MS Money 2007 browser to navigate to the MSN.com web page).

    Jim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-30T01:06:48+00:00

    Jim:

    Thank you very very much; I am back in business with MSN Money 2007!  The updates are now as they always were with MSN Money.

    One minor difference from your last instructions:  My "Page Options" does not display "My MSN."  It displays "Turn off autosuggest, what is autosuggest, and increase font size."  So, to open MSN from within Money I scrolled down about half way on the page and found on the right "Hotmail" and "Sign In."  Clicking that "Sign In" brings up the MSN Welcome page for entering Window Live ID as in your original step 7.

    I tested opening MSN Money 2007 as above with and without having MSN already open, and it makes no difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments