MS Money 2007 on Win XP will not let me connect online telling me that Windows Live cannot verify my sign-in information. This happened in the last couple of days all of a sudden.

Anonymous
2010-11-21T14:09:45+00:00

Suddenly about November 17, 2010, I am not able to login to Microsoft Money 2007 on Windows XP using Windows Live ID.  It just stopped working.  The message states partially:  "Money could not verify your sign-in information.  You can use some Money features ...To regain access to online features, in the upper right corner of Money, point at the online updates icon, and click the down arrow.  Select sign-in with Windows Live ID...".  Well that didn't work either.  I have tried all the fixes recommended by Microsoft in kb891338 document and nothing works.  Did Windows Live ID stop working with Money 2007?  What do I do?

Thanks, Richard

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-11-26T16:51:20+00:00

Same problem, on same date for me as well.  Here is a work-around that allowed me to update my accounts online this morning.

  1. Start MS Money 2007 and enter the Windows Live ID (email address and password that is linked to your MS Money file) to sign in to Money.
  2. Click the checkbox below the password field for "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." then click the Next > button.
  3. After MS Money has started, click on the "butterfly" MSN.com icon in the toolbar located across top of MS Money 2007 window.
  4. Once the page loads within the MS Money 2007 browser click on the "Page Options" link in the top right hand corner of the MSN web page, under the Welcome to MSN.

<<<UPDATE on 11/30/2010: If the "My MSN" link is no longer available in the Page Options drop down menu, then scroll about half way down the MSN web page to the Hotmail section, and click the "Sign up" link.  Then follow step 7 below (you can skip step 5 and 6).>>> 

  1. Choose the "My MSN" link from the drop down from the Page Options link.
  2. Once the My MSN page loads within the MS Money 2007 browser click on the "Sign In" link in the top right hand corner of the My MSN web page.
  3. Sign in using your Windows Live ID and password that is linked to your MS Money 2007 file.
  4. Click the down arrow next to the Online Updates icon close to the top right hand corner of the MS Money 2007 window, next to the question mark for show help.

9. Choose the "Sign In with a Windows Live ID" link from the Online Updates drop down.

  1. Sign in using your Windows Live ID and password that is linked to your MS Money 2007 file.

11. Click the Online Updates icon in the MS Money 2007 window, next to the question mark for show help.

  1. Click "Update Now..." button.

Good luck!

Jim

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-16T01:49:16+00:00

    Absolutely brilliant.  Thanks Jim.  MS has very poorly served their customers here.  

    I've tried iBank4 and MoneyDance as alternatives to MS Money Portfolio Manager but both are less than ideal.  Preferred features are transaction updates from investment firms, multiple accounts including watch accounts, customizable portfolios listing returns over specified time periods, easy access to investment transactions, customizable graphs showing but buy/sell/split transactions - essentially the old MS portfolio manager.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  Mac OSX preferred but I am willing to use VM Ware and Windows XP or Linux if necessary as well as pay an annual fee.  

    Feel like an orphan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-12-28T03:23:40+00:00

    I'm having the same problem about the same time. At least now I know it's not me. I'm already mad MS is shutting down MS Money since I have years of history in the program. I tried logging in from within Money like muddog suggested, but it didn't work for me.

    any luck yet?

    Jim

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-01T02:40:51+00:00

    I have the same problem.  I would love to solve it and get my accounting out of Money and into Quicken.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-01T02:58:40+00:00

    I have the same problem and can't log into Micorsoft Money 2007.  I can use the same Windows Live ID and password to log into MSN...it's frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments