Windows 7 Service Pack 1 error 80004005

Anonymous
2011-02-23T17:54:38+00:00

I have turned off my antivirus, run the rediness too and the Microsoft Fix It tool.  But still will not install the SP1 for my windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system.  I get a code 80004005

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-05T09:01:03+00:00

Folks, I believe I have an answer to the problem. After trying many different options suggested above without success, I managed to install the service pack. As mentioned in a number of previous messages, the system partition is  the root of all evil. The system partition (this is not the partition that has win7 installed) is either too small or is full. You need a minimum of 20M or more for the install to work. My system partition was 100M in size and had only 5M free, this caused the service pack install to fail with the messages indicated above. On freeing up space (20M availability) the install worked successfully. To access the system partition (has no assigned drive letter) you need to use the win7 partition manager software found in the control panel, assign a drive letter to system partition, access the new partition, move a larger enough file from one of the directories onto a win7 partition, freeing up space, run the service pack install, installation should succeed. After rebooting from service pack install , reverse the process, copy file back to system partition and remove the assigned drive letter. All complete ............hope this helps!!!!!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-13T01:48:53+00:00

    I know I'm a little late, but wanted to share my experience with 80004005 and 7 PS1.  This vague error problem was on a Dell laptop, 7 Professional.  I deduced from these forums that it was probably a resource related issue, and did the following to get SP1 to successfully install:

    Shutdown wireless network and plugged directly into ethernet.

    Unplugged all USB devices.

    Closed all opened programs on desktop.

    Stopped what background programs I could find and stop (virus checkers, schedulers, etc.).

    The update went in without a hitch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-21T14:43:01+00:00

    Genius.... this fixed my problem.    

    When you try to install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 , the in-Windows Installation goes through ok and then reboots and the first process completes 100%, after the 2nd reboot, the changes are reversed.  

    When back in Windows you are presented with a Windows showing the service pack failed to install with error 

    Following your advice, I assigned a drive letter to the System Reserved Partition, and found a backup folder on there strangely which was 75MB in size. I removed this, and reinstalled the Service Park and voila it installed fine. 

    many thanks for sharing this solution.  I hope it helps others.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-24T07:21:46+00:00

    This worked like a charm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-09T20:28:43+00:00

    slightly different problem .. but this might help someone.

    Windows 7-32 machine.  Windows update would hang at 96% on SP`.  Installed .netframework 4.5.2 and then UPDATE worked.

    Get it here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42643

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments