Windows 7 Service Pack 1 error 80004005

Anonymous
2011-02-23T17:54:38+00:00

I have turned off my antivirus, run the rediness too and the Microsoft Fix It tool.  But still will not install the SP1 for my windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system.  I get a code 80004005

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-05T09:01:03+00:00

Folks, I believe I have an answer to the problem. After trying many different options suggested above without success, I managed to install the service pack. As mentioned in a number of previous messages, the system partition is  the root of all evil. The system partition (this is not the partition that has win7 installed) is either too small or is full. You need a minimum of 20M or more for the install to work. My system partition was 100M in size and had only 5M free, this caused the service pack install to fail with the messages indicated above. On freeing up space (20M availability) the install worked successfully. To access the system partition (has no assigned drive letter) you need to use the win7 partition manager software found in the control panel, assign a drive letter to system partition, access the new partition, move a larger enough file from one of the directories onto a win7 partition, freeing up space, run the service pack install, installation should succeed. After rebooting from service pack install , reverse the process, copy file back to system partition and remove the assigned drive letter. All complete ............hope this helps!!!!!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-04T04:53:46+00:00

    This worked for me on an HP pavilion.   The system restore drive didn't have any free space.  Don't forget to empty the recycler folder on the system drive.  Thanks for the tip!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-29T18:58:45+00:00

    Bij mij heeft al de oplossingen niet geholpen, ook niet met een schone start

    wie o wie heeft een gouden tip.

    vriendelijk groet

    klavertfour

    ******@hotmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-29T08:08:08+00:00

    I finally got it to work but posted the answer elsewhere. Wont help everyone.

    But here is what I had to do in the end.

    The Computer ACER 5910, has a backup of the operating system and a recovery application.

    This was run and Windows 7 restored to the 'original' state, the system backs up user data files.

    Once this was done, I ignored the windows update list of 49 Updates that did not include SP1. (in case this was what caused the problem in the first place).

    But installed SP1 from the disk image I had downloaded from  the Microsoft site.

    This time it installed correctly, I then allowed windows update to install the remaining updates and re-installed my applications.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-28T19:49:01+00:00

    Opgelost, maar is een enkelvoud en ik denk niet dat dat nuttig is voor alle mensen moeten zijn.

    In mijn geval, het probleem was de gereserveerde partitie schijf, dat was helemaal vol (veroorzaken van een oneigenlijk gebruik) en het service pack programma kan gewoon niet schrijven in een volle schijf!

    Maar, voor alle anderen, ik heb een nuttige suggestie: heel zorgvuldig kijken in naar Service Pack logbestand. Ik heb mijn geval opgelost op deze manier.

    Good luck. Hoe heeft u dit opgelost???

    **** u ons vertellen hoe u dit gedaan heeft?? Ik ben een digibeet op computergebied. Ik ben al maanden bezig om de service pack te laten configureren echter bij 99% krijg ik foutmelding:

    E_Fail(0x80004005)

    bij voorbaat mijn hartelijk dank

    ******@hotmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments