Windows 7 Service Pack 1 error 80004005

Anonymous
2011-02-23T17:54:38+00:00

I have turned off my antivirus, run the rediness too and the Microsoft Fix It tool.  But still will not install the SP1 for my windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system.  I get a code 80004005

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-05T09:01:03+00:00

Folks, I believe I have an answer to the problem. After trying many different options suggested above without success, I managed to install the service pack. As mentioned in a number of previous messages, the system partition is  the root of all evil. The system partition (this is not the partition that has win7 installed) is either too small or is full. You need a minimum of 20M or more for the install to work. My system partition was 100M in size and had only 5M free, this caused the service pack install to fail with the messages indicated above. On freeing up space (20M availability) the install worked successfully. To access the system partition (has no assigned drive letter) you need to use the win7 partition manager software found in the control panel, assign a drive letter to system partition, access the new partition, move a larger enough file from one of the directories onto a win7 partition, freeing up space, run the service pack install, installation should succeed. After rebooting from service pack install , reverse the process, copy file back to system partition and remove the assigned drive letter. All complete ............hope this helps!!!!!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-13T01:48:53+00:00

    I know I'm a little late, but wanted to share my experience with 80004005 and 7 PS1.  This vague error problem was on a Dell laptop, 7 Professional.  I deduced from these forums that it was probably a resource related issue, and did the following to get SP1 to successfully install:

    Shutdown wireless network and plugged directly into ethernet.

    Unplugged all USB devices.

    Closed all opened programs on desktop.

    Stopped what background programs I could find and stop (virus checkers, schedulers, etc.).

    The update went in without a hitch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T01:59:48+00:00

    Try unistalling your antivirus software.  I uninstalled my McAfee software, restarted my computer and was able to install the Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

    Hope this helps.

    Reinstalled Windows 7 :(

    But thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T01:25:00+00:00

    Try unistalling your antivirus software.  I uninstalled my McAfee software, restarted my computer and was able to install the Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-18T22:24:57+00:00

    Hello! where can I search for the Service Pack log file?

    I also want to try your solution, but first I would like to check the log...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments