Windows 7 Service Pack 1 error 80004005

Anonymous
2011-02-23T17:54:38+00:00

I have turned off my antivirus, run the rediness too and the Microsoft Fix It tool.  But still will not install the SP1 for my windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system.  I get a code 80004005

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Licensing and activation

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-04-05T09:01:03+00:00

Folks, I believe I have an answer to the problem. After trying many different options suggested above without success, I managed to install the service pack. As mentioned in a number of previous messages, the system partition is  the root of all evil. The system partition (this is not the partition that has win7 installed) is either too small or is full. You need a minimum of 20M or more for the install to work. My system partition was 100M in size and had only 5M free, this caused the service pack install to fail with the messages indicated above. On freeing up space (20M availability) the install worked successfully. To access the system partition (has no assigned drive letter) you need to use the win7 partition manager software found in the control panel, assign a drive letter to system partition, access the new partition, move a larger enough file from one of the directories onto a win7 partition, freeing up space, run the service pack install, installation should succeed. After rebooting from service pack install , reverse the process, copy file back to system partition and remove the assigned drive letter. All complete ............hope this helps!!!!!

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-07T17:09:09+00:00

    I have been working with Microsoft for 3 weeks (online) and still FAILED; I agree they have an issue with this svc pack..I have never had a problem until this "update"; Background Netbook, w/Win 7 Home basic with Anytime upgrade to Home Premium...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-12T21:20:10+00:00

    I also keep getting error code 80004005 when trying to install Windows 7 SP1 32-bit.  I have tried most everything that has been suggested, including turning off Norton Security, running the Windows Update troubleshooter, and running the System Update Readiness Tool.  Nothing works.  I am not excited about doing a repair install of Windows, because (a) it'll take a while, (b) I'm always a little leery of doing this in case there's a big glitch and I end up bricking my laptop, and (c) I just shouldn't have to do this.  Is Microsoft working on a fix for this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-03-05T02:30:18+00:00

    Like you I tried everything possible I even had remote support from Microsoft & it could not be resolved. I would like mention that the support I received from Microsoft was of a high standard. However In the end all I could do was use my recovery discs for the Windows (as it was a laptop and only recently purchased ..Jan 2011...I did not get a Windows Installation disc there is a hidden partition on my hard drive & also you are promoted to make a set of DVD's when you first use the computer). After I did that I went straight to getting all the windows updates (I did not install any other software until after this) all updates installed okay until I had nothing  left.  After the computer re-booted I checked Windows update and the SP 1 was the only update left to install so I let Windows 7 Install it. After the Service Pack 1 was downloaded and installed Windows 7 confirmed that the Service Pack was installed okay :) In weighing up the options  it seemed to be a drastic choice but  I figured if I put it off for say 6 months I would inevitably have to take this step & have more programs & data on the computer which would take more time to deal with than to tackle it now.  Hope my experience is of help to someone else!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-02T18:16:21+00:00

    I tried nearly everything now to solve the error code, FilterMax to 14, Clean Boot, all these Hotfixes and Scans, Uninstalling Software, Deactivating all (!) not Microsoft based Services... I am exhausted and still the same Error Code :-/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments