Print Spooler Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.__

Anonymous
2010-11-27T22:11:52+00:00

I have tried - without success - restarting the print spooler on an XP box with SP3.  I have read the previous posts for this error and this box refuses to restart the service.

Is there an easy way to resolve this issue without reverting to a system wipe?  Can I run a repair?  If so, will it fix the issue?  I have tried to run a system restore to an earlier date and that failed to do anything for me either.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-11-28T03:04:07+00:00

When trying to start the Print Spooler Service, Error 1068 means "The dependency service does not exist. or the dependency service or group failed to start." 

Depending on your environment and your type of printer installed, your Print Spooler Service will have other dependent services that must be running before the Print Spooler Service will start.  If the dependent services are not running, you will see an error 1068 or similar message about dependent services when trying to start the Print Spooler Service. 

Some Lexmark printers will add their own services to XP and the starting of the Print Spooler Service lists them as dependencies and therefore those Lexmark Services must be running before the Print Spooler service will start.  It may be listed as the LexBce Server.

Do you now or have you ever had have any Lexmark printers installed?  If yes, are you still using the Lexmark printers?

Depending on your printing environment, if you are using another kind of printer, you may have other Service listed in the Dependencies tab of the Print Spooler Service.

Use the XP Services Applet to check the Print Spooler dependencies and options.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

services.msc

Click OK to open the Service Applet.

Locate the Print Spooler Service, right click it, choose Properties and then look at the Dependencies tab.  The services listed there must be running before the Print Spooler Service will start.  If they are not running, you will get an error 1068 or similar message about dependent services when trying to start the Print Spooler Service.

You should always see the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and maybe some others depending on the type of printer you have installed (Lexmark printers can add some Dependency Services to your XP configuration).  All dependent services must be running before the Print Spooler Service will start. 

The dependent Services may vary depending on the type of printers you have installed.

The RPC service is also necessary for a lot of other things to work properly and is usually always running and set to Automatic start. 

If the RPC Service is not running and does not start Automatically, you may have some other problems, but start with the easy stuff first.

From the Services Applet, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and if it is not running, right click it and start it and set it to Automatic.

Then locate and start any other Print Spooler dependency services listed in the Dependency tab of the Print Spooler Service.  Set the Startup type for those Services to Automatic so they will start automatically the next time you reboot your system (if that is your desire).

When everything is running the way you want, reboot and check your Services again to be sure they start up properly and resolve any further

issues.

If the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is not listed as a dependency for your Print Spooler Service, you need to inform XP that the Print Spooler service depends on the RPC service.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter (including the important space after the equals sign):

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

Click OK to assign the RPC service to the Print Spooler service, then be sure the RPC Service is running and start your Print Spooler Service.

If you still cannot figure it out, respond with the items you see under the Dependency tab of the Print Spooler Service.

Be sure to reboot and check to be sure everything is working properly after making any adjustments.

Please note that using the above command will effectively remove all the current (and perhaps old) Print Spooler Dependencies assigned to the Print Spooler Service and assign only the RPC Service dependency.  That would be "normal".

The RPC Service dependency  would be typical for most installations or after permanently uninstalling some (Lexmark) printers, but your printer may have some other dependencies.  If it still doesn't work, we'll fix it!


Do, or do not. There is no try.

I need YOUR votes and points for helpful replies and Propose as Answers. I am saving up for a pony!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T21:52:33+00:00

    this solved my problem completely.  i had uninstalled the lexmark printer jazz and next thing you know, the brother printer/scanner could not be seen by the system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T03:41:02+00:00

    Use the command Jose described:

    Click Start, Run and in the box enter (including the important space after the equals sign):

    sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

    Bless you! I know this is an old thread but I had to respond.

    I have been trying to "fix" my mom's XP SP3 running an older model HP printer most of the afternoon. The printer was no longer was accessible and the status would not change to "start" under the Print Spooler even after attempting to repair install/reinstall, rebooting, and mentally kicking it a few times. I tried running an HP diagnostic from their support site (but honestly, that part was pretty much useless.) I still kept getting RPC Server not available no matter what I tried, and then I could not get the Print Spooler to change the status to Start (received Error 1068 and then found my way here.)

    The sc config command fixed it within seconds. Thank you!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-03T08:04:28+00:00

    Good job!   Take the rest of the day off.

    A.User is me after they banned me for being a smart aleck.

    I will save your Lexmark advice in my notes, so thanks for those tips!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-03T03:16:38+00:00

    A. User -

    I have a Lexmark X1270 printer. I was on the phone with their "Premium" support for nearly 2 hours. Your method solved my issue perfectly on a XP, SP3 box. I despise Lexmark printers anyway but had to make this work - I knew that the print spooler was non-functioning.

    If anyone ahould have a similar problem, I would suggest uninstalling all printer drivers and any left over (orphaned) Lexmark folders. Then reboot. Once done, run this cleanup utility from Lexmark.

    http://swdownloads.lexmark.com/Patches/Cleanup/CleanupUtility.exe

    You will need to be patient and reboot after completion. Once completed follow the above procedure by A. User exactly as written, especially the command string for the run box. Then reboot again.

    Proceed to install your latest drivers according to Lexmark.

    Again, thank you!

    One more thing...

    If you download the drivers from the Lexmark site, be advised that the AIO functions and scanner for XP are not provided as of this date. I informed them of their problem. Use the CD instead. FWIW.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments