My computer does not recognize my installed printer as a scanner.

Anonymous
2011-05-18T19:53:31+00:00

Recognize a scanner.  My printer is also a scanner.  My new computer recognizes the (networked) printer but does not recognize the scanner function.  When I try to scan a document it tells me I do not have a scanner installed?  What to do?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-19T01:45:13+00:00

Normally, input devices cannot be shared, at all, but this isn't always true of scanners.  You'll be able to share the scanner only if it's manufacturer provided specialized software for that purpose.

    You have to use a network-capable scanner (which immediately eliminates most, if not all, USB scanners) and specialized software (that comes with the scanner) to do this.  If you're talking about a home consumer grade flatbed USB or parallel port scanner, you very probably can't.

    HP, Canon, Xerox, Océ, Kyocera Mita, and other companies manufacture network capable scanners (They're actually multi-function devices that also copy, print, and sometimes fax and email) and the requisite specialized software.  The cost of such devices usually starts somewhere just below $4,000.00 USD.

    The HP PrecisionScan Pro application, versions 2.03 and higher, which normally comes with some of HP's low-end business scanners, permits some of the scanning functions to be shared.  Consult the documentation that came with the scanner.  (I know it works, if not very well; I've set up HP ScanJet 6300C and 7490C devices to be shared, using the supplied software.)

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-05-18T20:55:44+00:00

Name and model of printer?

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers compatible for Windows 7.

You can also run Printer  troubleshooter.

Open the Printer troubleshooter

Open the Printer troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Hardware and Sound, click Use a printer.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Printer-troubleshooter

Printer Issues: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2010/04/12/3324570.aspx

Run the Printer Fix it from: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/printing\_problems?entrypoint=WHHT

You may refer the below mentioned links.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Find-and-install-printer-drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-default-printer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Printing-to-the-correct-printer

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-05T06:56:42+00:00

    I have been having this problem for a few months with my computer running Windows 7.  The scanner component of my Epson XP-**** used to work fine with Windows Fax and Scan but stopped working, out of the blue.  I now have a new computer running Windows 10 and it has the same problem.  I have no problem printing from either computer, but can't scan using Windows Fax and Scan.  Is there a solution? Epson says it's a Windows problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-01T21:25:49+00:00

    This did not help me as my HP4502 printer/copier/scanner has always worked.  About 2 weeks ago, the scanner stopped sending to my computer and I have not been able to get it working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-04-02T01:52:36+00:00

    I have the opposite problem - I can scan but not print.  I have tried not one but TWO different MF devices  both HP: Deskjet 2548 and Photosmart C4580.  The C4580 worked fine yesterday.  Then, unannounced and unbidden, Windows 10 installed itself (Thanks A LOT, Microsoft) and I could not print anything at all.  

    After six and a half hours of searching and trying and restarting and reinstalling, I can print on letter-sized paper on the C4580.  I need to print #10 envelopes.  The C4580 is not recognizing the paper size.

    Today, I tried installing a borrowed 2548.  I am well into my second hour on this device and I cannot get the system to recognize it as a printer.  It will scan just fine, but it prints nothing.

    And, to make things even more fun and exciting.  The troubleshooter doesn't work.  I get a message that an unknown error has occurred and the wizard won't work.  Under 'More details', everything is 'unknown.'  So, even the error messages are not helpful.

    Here's hoping Microsoft won't take another six years to reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments