Accessories Folder Missing from Start Menu

Anonymous
2011-01-14T20:16:03+00:00

Hello - I just purchased a new cpu with Windows 7 Home Premium installed.  When I first started using the system I know that the traditional Accessories Folder which usually includes System Tools and other files/folders was on my Start Menu.  After using the maching for a bit of time and installing many new programs I noticed that the folder is missing.  Is there a way to get this back on the Start Menu without a system restore as that will cause me to loose my newly installed programs from what I have read on other threads.  Thanks for your feedback.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-01-14T20:25:34+00:00

You are correct that System Restore may cause you to have to reinstall your recently added programs.  Here's one possible alternative:

Restore Previous Versions of a File or Folder

1 - Click your Start button, then right-click the "All Programs" link at the bottom.  Choose "Open All users".

2 - In the window that opens, right-click the Programs folder and choose "Restore Previous Versions". The Properties window may take a moment to load in all the available old copies of that folder.  Cool Fact: These previous versions come from the same place as System Restore backups, except these let you restore individual files instead of your entire system :)

3 - Click a old version of the file from a date when you know the Accessories folder was still there, then click "open" and look around.  From there you can right-click the backup copy of Accessories, and paste it into your actual Programs folder (that you opened in step 1).

Hope this helps.


If this solves your issue, click the 'Propose as Answer' link below, and vote as helpful by clicking the green triangle to the lelft. Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-21T19:50:38+00:00

    You all were not listening to him. The Accessories folder is in the start up menu, but it doesn't show up. I have the same problem.

    As stated above, the problem is "i have the same issue but the accessories folder IS in the location C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but it is NOT showing up when I click the start button and click the all programs button.  I have already run sfc /scannow, disk check, windows memory diagnostic and still no luck (all check out normal).  Basically it's there, but not appearing when accessed through the start menu."

    This is challenging, and I also need the solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-15T14:41:09+00:00

    You might try making a new user account.  If that new user account has the correct folder, you can copy it to your actual account's start menu folder, then remove the new account.


    If this solves your issue, click the 'Propose as Answer' link below, and vote as helpful by clicking the green triangle to the lelft. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-01-14T23:52:46+00:00

    i have the same issue but the accessories folder IS in the location C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but it is NOT showing up when I click the start button and click the all programs button.  I have already run sfc /scannow, disk check, windows memory diagnostic and still no luck (all check out normal).  Basically it's there, but not appearing when accessed through the start menu.

    This system build is less than 3 days old!

    System is:

    intel Q8400, 4GB Ram, Intel X25-V (boot drive), WD 320GB HDD, Win 7 home premium.

    Since I am using a SSD, I have disabled system restore (I have a WHS for that anyway), the page file is located on the 320GB HDD, disabled the recycle bin on the C drive, and used the intel SSD toolbox to make the recommended changes (prefetch/superfetch, etc).

    It's not too big of a deal for me, but this is my wife's pc and I know I will hear the "where's the dang calculator at!" soon if it doesn't get fixed.  Any help would be appreciated. 

    I am going to tinker around with this until she yells at me to get off her computer, so if I find anything useful I will re-post.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-01-14T21:42:56+00:00

    This may be of help:

    You can restore the Start menu to its original, default settings.

    1. Click to open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.
    2. Click the Start Menu tab, and then click Customize.
    3. In the Customize Start Menu dialog box, click Use Default Settings, clickOK, and then click OK again

    If I brought you Joy, cast your Vote! If I answered your question, click, Propose As Answer! >WT<

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments