Thanks for this advice, but I couldn't do this because in my registry I found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control but it did
not have any VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD under it .
So I was going to add it, but my edit menu offered "New" but not "Add Value"
I gave up for fear I was going to screw something up because I wasn't seeing what I expected...
Were these instructions for an earlier version of Windows? I have Win 7.
It looks like Edit..New is same as Edit...Add Value, but if I add VirtualDeviceDrivers, what type of value do I select?
If I do that successfully, I assume I can then Edit...New and and add VDD, is RG_MULTI_SZ the same data type as Multi String Value? This is the only choice I have theat is close to what you recommend.
I don't play with the registry much, as you can obviously see.
Your registry file is most probably corrupted or damaged.
Try clicking Ignore. Sometimes that works.
If not, you will have to repair the registry file. If you make a mistake you can cause other complicated problems. This is the procedure:
- Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). THIS I DID
- Locate and click the following value: THERE WAS NO VirtualDeviceDrivers key under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete. NOTHING TO DELETE
4. On the Edit menu, click Add Value. EDIT MENU OFFERS ME "NEW" BUT NOT "ADD VALUE"
5. Type VDD in the Value Name box, click REG_MULTI_SZ for the
Data Type, and then click OK.
6. The Multi-String editor appears. Leave this entry blank and click OK.
7. Quit Registry Editor.
If the above steps do not work, or if you are unable to create the VDD key, it may be necessary to also delete and recreate the whole
VirtualDeviceDrivers registry key.
If still unable to fix it, you can try a pay registry correction program like: regcleanpro or a free one like perfect registry or anything similar somtimes those can correct it. If unable: you can get a computer tech or geek person to do it for you. good
luck