Peer networking grouping service isn't running is the message. How do I get it to run?

Anonymous
2011-03-05T14:04:58+00:00

I have two computers in my home and have installed a wireless printer on one.  I have been trying to install another wireless printer in another part of my home but keeps printing to the one previously installed.  I have received a message that "peer networking grouping service isn'g running".  Could this correct the problem and if so, how do I get the service running?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-21T06:22:47+00:00

I finally got it 

  1. Right click on the three services

a)peer network grouping

b)peer network identity manager

c)peer name resolution

one after another.

  1. After right clicking go to properties -> Logon.

3)Name the same profile for all three sevices (passwords should be retype of your own).

then restart all three services.

finally refresh homegroup....

you find no error:)

This worked for me, thanks.

  1. I started by selecting "peer network identity manager"
  2. and clicked the Log On tab.
  3. Then selected The bubble for "this account" Not "local sys acc".
  4. Then click the Browse button.
  5. Then advanced at the lower left.
  6. Then Find now on the middle right.
  7. Then select "LOCAL SERVICE".
  8. Then Ok out.

I was prompted to restart the service before changes would change but I skipped that until after I changed the other two services.

Repeat steps one though 8 for peer name resolution and peer network grouping in that order. (I don't know why that made a difference but it worked for me)

  1. Then restart peer network identity manager
  2. Start peer name resolution
  3. Start peer network grouping

This worked for me and I have been hunting for days. Thanks much to everyone. And a big thanks to  rajanaveen.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-29T06:15:39+00:00

    Neither did the 'fix it' link work for me.  Help!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-02T23:49:56+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-03T16:50:18+00:00

    I finally got it 

    1. Right click on the three services

    a)peer network grouping

    b)peer network identity manager

    c)peer name resolution

    one after another.

    1. After right clicking go to properties -> Logon.

    3)Name the same profile for all three sevices (passwords should be retype of your own).

    then restart all three services.

    finally refresh homegroup....

    you find no error:)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-11T21:35:49+00:00

    I am having the same issues..., error code 1060 again. The "start" does not work.

    I do some computer programming and web source code work.., but this one has me stumped. It seems as though MOST techs want you to reinstall Win7 or go to an earlier recovery point. Maybe if I buy MACs for my office we won't have all these MS issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments