Peer networking grouping service isn't running is the message. How do I get it to run?

Anonymous
2011-03-05T14:04:58+00:00

I have two computers in my home and have installed a wireless printer on one.  I have been trying to install another wireless printer in another part of my home but keeps printing to the one previously installed.  I have received a message that "peer networking grouping service isn'g running".  Could this correct the problem and if so, how do I get the service running?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-21T06:22:47+00:00

I finally got it 

  1. Right click on the three services

a)peer network grouping

b)peer network identity manager

c)peer name resolution

one after another.

  1. After right clicking go to properties -> Logon.

3)Name the same profile for all three sevices (passwords should be retype of your own).

then restart all three services.

finally refresh homegroup....

you find no error:)

This worked for me, thanks.

  1. I started by selecting "peer network identity manager"
  2. and clicked the Log On tab.
  3. Then selected The bubble for "this account" Not "local sys acc".
  4. Then click the Browse button.
  5. Then advanced at the lower left.
  6. Then Find now on the middle right.
  7. Then select "LOCAL SERVICE".
  8. Then Ok out.

I was prompted to restart the service before changes would change but I skipped that until after I changed the other two services.

Repeat steps one though 8 for peer name resolution and peer network grouping in that order. (I don't know why that made a difference but it worked for me)

  1. Then restart peer network identity manager
  2. Start peer name resolution
  3. Start peer network grouping

This worked for me and I have been hunting for days. Thanks much to everyone. And a big thanks to  rajanaveen.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-01T18:38:37+00:00

    From Bonnie Hairston

    Internet Exployer can not display the page is the problem. The troubleshooting page tells me that the "Peer Networking Grouping Service is not running." Internet Exployer was working fine, then it was not.

    I have the same issues as all above. One laptop running Win7 Ultimate and the other Win 7 home.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-11T18:38:12+00:00

    From Bonnie Hairston

    Internet Exployer can not display the page is the problem. The troubleshooting page tells me that the "Peer Networking Grouping Service is not running." Internet Exployer was working fine, then it was not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-11T18:22:05+00:00

    Hi WPapastrout,

     

    Follow the steps listed below to start “Peer Networking Grouping” service:

    a. Click “Start”.

    b. Type “services.msc” in the Start search box.

    c. Right-click “Peer Networking Grouping” and click “Start”.

    d. Exit the “Services” window.

     

    This should fix the issue.

    This did not fix the problem. When I type services.msn in the search box, I get the error message; no item found. Where do I go from here?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-01-07T07:05:11+00:00

    just started getting the same problem... was working fine.. then one day tried to get password to add another computer to the sharing and it wouldnt display... got the same error as others and followed troubleshooting. tried the above method and didnt work.

    get the same error

    "Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping service on the Local Computer.

    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

    surely someone at microsoft has some sort of answer for this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments