Peer networking grouping service isn't running is the message. How do I get it to run?

Anonymous
2011-03-05T14:04:58+00:00

I have two computers in my home and have installed a wireless printer on one.  I have been trying to install another wireless printer in another part of my home but keeps printing to the one previously installed.  I have received a message that "peer networking grouping service isn'g running".  Could this correct the problem and if so, how do I get the service running?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-21T06:22:47+00:00

I finally got it 

  1. Right click on the three services

a)peer network grouping

b)peer network identity manager

c)peer name resolution

one after another.

  1. After right clicking go to properties -> Logon.

3)Name the same profile for all three sevices (passwords should be retype of your own).

then restart all three services.

finally refresh homegroup....

you find no error:)

This worked for me, thanks.

  1. I started by selecting "peer network identity manager"
  2. and clicked the Log On tab.
  3. Then selected The bubble for "this account" Not "local sys acc".
  4. Then click the Browse button.
  5. Then advanced at the lower left.
  6. Then Find now on the middle right.
  7. Then select "LOCAL SERVICE".
  8. Then Ok out.

I was prompted to restart the service before changes would change but I skipped that until after I changed the other two services.

Repeat steps one though 8 for peer name resolution and peer network grouping in that order. (I don't know why that made a difference but it worked for me)

  1. Then restart peer network identity manager
  2. Start peer name resolution
  3. Start peer network grouping

This worked for me and I have been hunting for days. Thanks much to everyone. And a big thanks to  rajanaveen.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T01:11:32+00:00

    Thank you for the solution! Tried a few other helps without success. Followed this advice and instantly resolved my problem - a million thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-28T07:31:30+00:00

    Follwed this thread with no resolution to my error 1068 until I came across this step below somewhere else, I should have clicked on your link, it would have saved me some time, anyway, deleting this idstore.sst file finally allowed me to restart the Peer Networking Group Service without errors:

    Method 2:

    Step 1:

    I would suggest you to browse to the location and delete the “idstore.sst” file.

    "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

    From here.

    I did not get an error code.  Just couldn't get my Home Group to work.  Found the same link on another web site.  Deleted the "idstore.sst" file (it was a real challenge to locate the file even after enabling hidden files). Then I used the suggestions above on this web site to find and start the three necessary Peer Group files.  Yes, they have to be started in order.  Success.  Finally! 

    You'd think that Microsoft would put out an easy fix for this problem.  As many of you have probably noticed, the Fix-it Tool that Microsoft directs you to does not work.  It did not even open.  At least it did not work or open for me.

    * * *<br><br><br>Researched the problem and found the solution. A file was corrupted and deleting it got the PNRP service running. The file was recreated correctly when the PNRP service started up. Here's the file for future reference: <br><br> <br><br>"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

    This also worked for me, I would suggest adding this resolution instead of the services editing as the preferred resolution for this problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-22T21:12:35+00:00

    Follwed this thread with no resolution to my error 1068 until I came across this step below somewhere else, I should have clicked on your link, it would have saved me some time, anyway, deleting this idstore.sst file finally allowed me to restart the Peer Networking Group Service without errors:

    Method 2:

    Step 1:

    I would suggest you to browse to the location and delete the “idstore.sst” file.

    "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

    From here.

    I did not get an error code.  Just couldn't get my Home Group to work.  Found the same link on another web site.  Deleted the "idstore.sst" file (it was a real challenge to locate the file even after enabling hidden files). Then I used the suggestions above on this web site to find and start the three necessary Peer Group files.  Yes, they have to be started in order.  Success.  Finally! 

    You'd think that Microsoft would put out an easy fix for this problem.  As many of you have probably noticed, the Fix-it Tool that Microsoft directs you to does not work.  It did not even open.  At least it did not work or open for me.

    * * *<br><br><br>Researched the problem and found the solution. A file was corrupted and deleting it got the PNRP service running. The file was recreated correctly when the PNRP service started up. Here's the file for future reference: <br><br> <br><br>"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-30T06:17:10+00:00

    Follwed this thread with no resolution to my error 1068 until I came across this step below somewhere else, I should have clicked on your link, it would have saved me some time, anyway, deleting this idstore.sst file finally allowed me to restart the Peer Networking Group Service without errors:

    Method 2:

    Step 1:

    I would suggest you to browse to the location and delete the “idstore.sst” file.

    "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

    From here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments