Screen disappears and goes back to desktop screen

Anonymous
2011-10-05T17:10:43+00:00

Can anyone tell me why, in Windows 7, when typing or not typing, the screen automatically disappears from the task at hand and it reverts back to the "home screen"? This happens to me constantly on both my laptop and desk top and it really is getting aggravating. It does not matter what I am doing; I can be typing an email, a letter, or just reading something on my screen and whatever I am working on just disappears and I am back to my Home Screen. This idiosyncracy occurs on my 14 month old lap top and my one week old desk top and I need to know why. Thanks for any input

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-07T19:39:11+00:00

I found it! Thanks so much for getting me started and knowing I wasn't nuts.

Go to "Control Panel" then click on the words "Appearance and Personalization".  Next you will get a "Task Bar and Start Menu". Click on "Customize the Start Menu" and then "Taskbar". You will see the words "Preview desktop with AeroPeek". Simply unclick the box to use the Aero Peek.  Problem solved.

Why Microsoft would do this I will never know. It seems so useless to me. It almost drove me crazy until I solved the problem. Hope this helps others who have this problem

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-06T21:20:42+00:00

So the application window just disappears, but you don't have to click on the taskbar to get it back, rignt? You just wiggle the mouse and it comes back without clicking on the taskbar? If that's what's happening, I agree it's bizarre. Computers are dumb machines that unfortunately do bizarre things sometimes, although this is a new one on me. I see no one else has posted a reply here, so it must be a pretty rare thing.

It sounds like you have the antivirus and firewall areas covered. I agree it doesn't sound like a hardware problem, but the only other thing I can think of is possibly some utility that your computer manufacturer might've put on your machines. They like to do that. I've personally seen that on Dell, HP, and Toshiba PCs as well as other folks' PCs I've helped with from time to time. Apparently your desktop has been doing this since you got it since it's only a week old, but did your 14 month old laptop always do this or is it something that just happened recently? If it's the latter, you could probably use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the problem.

On the desktop I'd recommend what's called a clean boot where you run msconfig and disable everything in the startup tab except for your antivirus program to see if that will get around the problem. To run msconfig, click Start and type msconfig in the search box. Then click on msconfig where it shows it and click on the startup tab. Once there, uncheck everything there except your antivirus program. Then reboot and run that way for long enough to see if the problem's still with you. If it goes away, then you can slowly start adding things back until you find the culprit.

One other thing you could check would be your screen saver. If you have some custom screen saver, that could be doing it, so you could try changing it to something you know to be part of Windows.

If that doesn't do it, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, so I wish you good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-27T03:05:30+00:00

    I did this and its still happening. Its very frustrating. Do you have any other idea's? My computer makes a double click noise and then the screen goes to the bottom toolbar constantly. Please help!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-06T19:54:14+00:00

    They are not being minimized or canceled. They just disappear! And yes, I can get them back simply by moving the mouse but why is this happening? It is not normal and it's irritating to be working and have what you are working on disappear like that.

    The only thing I have installed on my desk top is an external hard drive. On my laptop I have not installed anything or added any software. Yes, I have a reputable virus protection on both machines. They do scans twice a week and yes, my firewall is on.

    Again, just to put it simply, I will be typing something and all of a sudden, instead of looking at what I was typing, I am looking at my desktop screen. Whatever I was working on just disappears and sometimes I am not even typing as I may have stopped for a second and it still happens. The fact that it happens on both of my computers is just bizarre to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-09T22:11:29+00:00

    It is a setting in Windows 7 and a default setting.

    I had it fixed last time in 5 seconds by a technician just clicking on a box to stop it or change the setting. But I cannot remember what it was he clicked on.

    All the other stuff people are talking about is nonsense and the mouse pad has nothing to do with it. Nor has misconfig.

    It is a simple setting you click on. It happens on brand new windows 7 and is annoying.

    Your description is perfect with what happens.

    And no it is not software corruption or a Virus.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments