Getting blue screen error with "video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error" message

Anonymous
2011-07-30T18:50:18+00:00

Original Title: Blue screen of death :'(Hello,

My troubles began yesterday when my Acer PC froze unexpectedly. I restarted it and it worked well for a few hours but then I got my first ever blue screen of death which told me "video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error". After a few Google searches on this I reinstalled the driver for my video driver. I also ran system restore.

I switched on my PC today and not long after I started using it I got another blue screen but this time it told me the error was REFERENCE_BY_POINTER STOP: 0x00000018, 0X0000000 0x8A419DD8, 0x00000002, 0xFFFFFFFF

My PC has Windows Vista x86 32bit. I purchased it new in August 2009 with Vista installed already. I have not reformatted the PC or reinstalled Windows since purchasing it. My video card is Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset

Please help me fix this!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-20T22:59:32+00:00

    Nicholas

    Auggy's suggestion relates to Windows 7 not Vista.

    What appears in Event Viewer?

    1. Normally when an error occurs on your computer looking in Event Viewer should be your starting point for finding a solution. Most system related errors are logged and getting an exact copy of the relevant report is important. Unfortunately understanding the reports is not easy and most computer users need help with their interpretation. I have more to say later on interpretation.
    2. Event Viewer comprises three main Windows logs. These are Application, Security and System. For troubleshooting purposes System is by far the most important.
    3. To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, right click and select Filter Current Log. Check the box before Error and click on OK and you see only Error reports. Click on the Date and Time Column Header to sort. You may need to click a second time to see the latest Report at the top.
    4. A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. Select the Details tab and check the box before XML View. Click on the Copy button to place a copy on your Clipboard and close Event Viewer. Now start your message and paste into the body of the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.
    5. There are three types of Report, being Information, Warning and Error reports. In most situations it is Error Reports that offer the best information but occasionally Warning Reports provide useful clues.
    6. All reports have date and time stamps and when troubleshooting it is important to concentrate on more recent reports. Study reports since the point when the computer was last booted and then check whether a similar report appeared in the previous session. If errors do not repeat investigation as to why they occurred is wasted effort.
    7. Within individual reports the more important information is Event ID and Source as these help when looking for help on the internet. The description is equally important and copying the exact text for use as the search criteria greatly helps getting better results when using Google. Do not paraphrase descriptions when asking others for help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-20T23:20:32+00:00

    I'm sorry but I cannot find this "Action Center" anywhere.

    Try here (for Windows Vista):

    Start > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System >  Performance > Problem Reports and Solutions > View Problem History

    You can also check the Event Viewer as suggested by Gerry C J Cornell.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T13:25:54+00:00

    When I go to Control Panel there is no "Administrative Tools".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T13:28:55+00:00

    The latest problem report is from yesterday from when I got a blue screen:

    Description

    The Windows User-Mode Driver Framework detected that a driver host-process did not exit when directed to do so. 

    This report contains information about the process and the drivers running within and will be used to improve the quality of these drivers.

    Problem signature

    Problem Event Name:    WUDFHostProblem

    EventClass:                      HostProblem

    Problem:                           Other

    DetectedBy:                      3

    UMDFVersion:                  6.0.6001.18000. (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)

    ExitCode:                          103

    Operation:                         0

    Message:                          0

    Status:                               5b4

    OS Version:                      6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

    Locale ID:                         2057

    Files that help describe the problem

    WUDFTrace.etl

    WudfHost_2988.dm.config.evtx

    memory.hdmp

    minidump.mdmp

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more