How do I delete huge files from System Volume Information?

Anonymous
2011-08-16T11:37:52+00:00

I have three large hard disks that I use to store backups of the system.  Some program -- I think it was the defragmenter -- caused Win 7 to place huge files (> 4 GB) in System Volume Information.  Nothing I do wil let me delete these files.  I cannot even take ownership of them.  When I try to take ownership of either the file or of System Volume Information I receive an "Access is denied" error on the file name.  Nothing should prevent an administrator from taking ownership of any file on his system.  How can I delete these huge files?  Please do not answer "Use Disk Cleanup to delete all but the last restore point."  That runs, but it deletes nothing.  On a previous installation of Win 7, I could take ownership of System Volume Information and delete its contents, but ot on this new installation.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T10:05:51+00:00

Hello,

The System Volume information folder keeps the Restore point entries. Usually it is not recommended to delete the entries from the System volume information.

Step 1 : Stop the Volume shadow copy service.

a:  Go to Start - Run and type Services.msc then press enter.

b: Under the Status column look for any entries that read as "Started", make it as “Stopped”.

**c:**Click apply and then ok.

Step 2 : Then take ownership of the System volume Information folder and then try to delete its contents.

How do I open a file if I get an access denied message?

Hope that helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T22:47:48+00:00

    In Windows 8 it's more known as restore points.

    To delete them.

    Win + R

    sysdm.cpl

    Sytem Protection tab

    Under Protection Settings select affected drive i.e (D:)

    Configure

    Change Max Usage: or just click Delete to remove all restore point files.

    Thanks! That helped me too where I had an external USB drive with 93 GB tied up in the SVI folder even though I had the restore points disabled for that drive. I set the slider to zero and deleted the "old" restore points and the files are gone. Thanks again!

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T17:09:38+00:00

    Your suggestion worked perfectly on Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. Cheers for posting the resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-29T06:33:07+00:00

    Hi Richard,

    Thank you for sharing the resolution with us which will help others facing the same problems to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-28T09:34:59+00:00

    In Windows 8 it's more known as restore points.

    To delete them.

    Win + R

    sysdm.cpl

    Sytem Protection tab

    Under Protection Settings select affected drive i.e (D:)

    Configure

    Change Max Usage: or just click Delete to remove all restore point files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments