How do I delete huge files from System Volume Information?

Anonymous
2011-08-16T11:37:52+00:00

I have three large hard disks that I use to store backups of the system.  Some program -- I think it was the defragmenter -- caused Win 7 to place huge files (> 4 GB) in System Volume Information.  Nothing I do wil let me delete these files.  I cannot even take ownership of them.  When I try to take ownership of either the file or of System Volume Information I receive an "Access is denied" error on the file name.  Nothing should prevent an administrator from taking ownership of any file on his system.  How can I delete these huge files?  Please do not answer "Use Disk Cleanup to delete all but the last restore point."  That runs, but it deletes nothing.  On a previous installation of Win 7, I could take ownership of System Volume Information and delete its contents, but ot on this new installation.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-08-17T10:05:51+00:00

Hello,

The System Volume information folder keeps the Restore point entries. Usually it is not recommended to delete the entries from the System volume information.

Step 1 : Stop the Volume shadow copy service.

a:  Go to Start - Run and type Services.msc then press enter.

b: Under the Status column look for any entries that read as "Started", make it as “Stopped”.

**c:**Click apply and then ok.

Step 2 : Then take ownership of the System volume Information folder and then try to delete its contents.

How do I open a file if I get an access denied message?

Hope that helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-31T02:59:56+00:00

    Thank you, Frederik. 

    Since I'm a novice, could you tell me how to start my own thread?

    I think I found a way to get around the problem I mentioned, but I have to run services.msc. When I tried to run, I got the message "The service cannot accept control messages at this time". (Just because I stopped a lot of entries, following Jessen's suggestions, I guess.) I typed "services.msc doesn't run" into our community's search box, but seems this isn't the way to start my own thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-30T20:37:45+00:00

    Help!

    When I followed Step 1, I could not "make it as 'stopped'", but just stopped it, and I didn't have to "click apply and then OK". That way I think I stopped maybe 20-30 entries. Then I tried to follow Step 2, but found now there was no network connection available. ("The requested nae is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.") Since I didn't make a note of what entry I stopped, now I'm really stuck. Is there any way I can reverse what I did? Thanks in advance for any help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments