The question was NOT "how do I use the Caps Lock key" or "how has the Caps Lock key 'always' worked", and I doubt the author of the original question expected such a patronizing answer. The question was if Windows 7 contained a switch to change the behavior
of the Caps Lock key so that if the Shift key were depressed, it would toggle the Caps Lock off. The answer had some information, but it was not to the question asked, so the original question remains unanswered.
I, too, have wished the Shift key worked traditionally, ever since I started using my first 8086 machine. The traditional typewriter behavior is more logical and more natural for current everyday usage. In the old days of programming in COBOL, Fortran and
BASIC, and even more contemporary C/C++, it is easier to type SOME_CONSTANT with the default behavior, as hitting the Shift key to type the underscore "_" would have released the Caps Lock if the traditional behavior were used.But, that style of using
strings of uppercase letters is somewhat dated now, and thevast majority of users of computers are not programmers. Therefore, inclusion of a switch thatenables a choice of the behavior of the Shift and Caps Lock keys would make the world
a much better place.
I hope this is something Microsoft can add to their default keyboard driver settings.